Twins in their twenties: The boys

Because everyone loves twins

Last week we had the girls, this week we have the boys. Here is the male round of Twins in their Tenties:

Elliott and Adam Milum, 21

Elliott and Adam are both professional musicians in the British Army. Elliott has passed out of the Royal Military School of Music and is now in The Band and Bugles of The Rifles, which is one of the Army’s 22 bands. Adam is joining the army a year after Elliott and is currently still studying at the school of music.

Elliott says when they were younger “we looked extremely similar, our mum began dressing us in different colours. Me in blue, Adam in red. We also had name ‘A’ and ‘E’ badges on our uniform.”

Elliott says: “As twins, I think you’re naturally closer to one other than siblings who aren’t twins.

“It’s harder to see each other now were in jobs, but we still regularly visit each other. Luckily were in the same friendship ground, which helps us maintain a close relationship.”

Following in their mum’s footsteps who is also a twin, Elliott and Adam said they swapped over for a lesson at school.

“The teacher didn’t have a clue, but you could tell the some of our the classmates knew, many of them being our friends, then the occasional stare from an unknown classmate.”

“We always get asked : “If I pinch him, can you feel it?” or “do you know what each other are thinking?”. I can tell you now, that is a load of rubbish!”

Matt and Ed Jarman, 25, ‘thumb twins’

Growing up Matt and Ed had an affinity to doing different things, Matt works as a self employed bricklayer, working for a groundwork firm. While Ed decided to study molecular biology at Edinburgh University and is now studying for a PhD in molecular medicine.

Ed says: “Matt was definitely bright enough to go to uni, but because I was the first to decide it, he felt like he should do something else.” Ed believes this is a twin way of ‘hedging their bets.’

Apparently they are “uber competitive when pitched against each other, the easiest way to deal with this without falling out is to do different things.

“Our mum was advised to split us up after year 2… I think that was to do with competition.”

Now that they are older, Ed believes they’ve “mellowed out a bit,” “we get on a lot easier now, more like a friendship than just having your brother around.” Ed isn’t sure whether this is because they’re both “boring adults now”, or that just “being apart that helps.”

Matt pictured here with twin Ed

Ed has lived in Edinburgh for 7 years now so knows much fewer people when he returns home. He says: “I constantly bump into people I’ve never met who think I’m Matt. I wave at a few random people and say ‘alright mate,’ in my best bricklayer’s accent.

“I have also unknowingly blanked people, who have later had it out with Matt.”

Matt and Ed in full thumb form

“Our mum most definitely dressed us up in matching outfits, the thing with twins is that they can be used as tools of humour from a young age.”

Their mum developed a strategic method of referring to them as “Matt in the black, Ed in the red,” which Ed realises: “maybe that was the reason my Nan called me Matt whenever I wore black tops.”

They are both still convinced they probably swapped names and identities until they were old enough to cling to one.

James and Alex Ball, 20

Alex and James are identical twins, they are so good looking God decided to make 2 of them.

Both Alex and James work at Luton Vauxhall plant in production operation.

Alex says: “We know how each others minds work and sometimes we know exactly what the other one is going to say.

“Suprisingly, we don’t have twin telepathy, feel each others pain, or use each other as a mirror.”

They live together and have seen each other pretty much everyday for the past 20 years. James says: “We don’t get on each others nerves. We can survive without each other, but if it’s for a long period of time, you do start to feel a bit lost.”

Alex says: “People tend to get us confused, and they’re so apologetic! But sometimes I don’t even tell them and I just pretend I’m the other twin and hope for the best.”

James says: “We’ve had girlfriends and we pretty much tell each other everything and anything, but we’ve never dated the same person… I probably would though.

“I know a guy who went out with twins, he broke up with one and then married her sister, he was a twin himself.”

James says: “my ex hated Alex. They never really got on. I thought it was quite funny.”

Alex: “my ex hated James too.”

University of Portsmouth