Stephen Fry is paying for UEA students to go on years abroad to America

Students will be able to apply for a £2,500 bursary

This year writer and comedian Stephen Fry has launched the Stephen Fry Travel Awards, allowing American Studies Students to apply for a £2,500 bursary towards their year in America.

From Stephen Fry’s home county, this award will be available for four students for the next five years of entry. The Travel Awards will amount to £50,000 in total.

Giving back to UEA and Norfolk, Stephen said: “I’m investing in the future of our next generation of thinkers who will go on to achieve great things.

“I hope that I can help and encourage more young people to discover this vast and wonderful country for themselves.”

Fry received his honorary doctorate from UEA in 1999 and is known for his love of America, particularly from his BBC TV Series Stephen Fry in America where he travels around all 50 states in a London black cab.

Acknowledging the financial difficulties of funding a year abroad, Stephen said: “Many young people might be put off taking a year abroad as part of their degree because of the financial cost.”

A sentiment head of Art, Media and American Studies at UEA Dr Rachel McLennan agreed with: “This will be a life-changing opportunity for the lucky recipients of Stephen’s travel awards.”

Featured image via BBC.

This is what your student life at UEA would be like if you starred on a reality TV show

• This is every type of person you’ll meet in your University of East Anglia halls

• This is what iconic British kids’ show you are based on your UEA course