The Tab presents: World Poetry Day competition

Time to prove Hanif Kureishi was talking bollocks

For all those secret Shakespeares, wishful Wordsworths and bashful Byrons in Kingston, The Tab are launching a poetry competition to make end of term life a little more fun.

Friday 21th March, is UNESCO’s World Poetry Day. Poetry clearly doesn’t get enough attention so to celebrate, The Tab is hosting its very own poetry competition, perhaps with some contributions from our own staff!

poetr

“Roses are red… Violets are… Finals suck.”

There doesn’t need to be a particular theme, but seeing as this is the last week of lectures and we’re entering a long trial for our abilities, we’d love some good poems describing your feelings on exams and finals.

Don’t overthink it, just have fun with it. If Hugh Grant can recite ‘There was a woman from Ealing…’ Kingston students should be able to write a little haiku on the harrowing destruction of the soul that is essay-writing.

poetry

Why do finals hurt, I have better things to do, I just want to sleep

Let’s be honest, we could all use a break, and what better way to procrastinate than to fire away a piece of literary genius? Grab your beret, slap on a fake moustache and light up a cigarette!

poet

There are probably some cheap berets on Amazon.

Send your contribution to [email protected] or tweet us. We’ll post the ones that we like best on Friday. Until then, happy writing!