FA and Premier League award half a million pounds to uni football hub

The new hub will be built on the northern pitches

As part of the £15 million investment into Hull University’s sports facilities, The FA Facilities Fund and the Premier League have awarded £500,000 which will be used to help fund the 3G artificial grass pitch and to create a football hub.

The FA has awarded an additional £20,000 toward the football hub.

The new football hub will be built on the northern pitches off Inglemire Lane, and will include a pavilion with changing facilities, classrooms and a physiotherapy room.

The £15 million investment in sports facilities at the university began with the three-pitch refurbishment and 3G pitch in September 2016. In June 2017, work will start on a 12-court sports facility adjacent to the current sports hall, including a international-standard netball courts and bleacher-style seating for 700 spectators to make the university the regional hub for netball.

The existing sports hall will remain and become a listed building. After the high-quality refurbishment, it will be turned into a 120-station fitness suite with state-of-the-art equipment and free weights. There will also be a dance studio which can also host fitness classes.

Steve Curtis, Partnership and Project Manager (Sport) at the University of Hull, said: “We place a huge emphasis on sport here at the University of Hull and as such are investing millions of pounds in enhancing facilities for not just students, but for the wider community. We are hugely grateful to the Premier League & the FA Facilities Fund for this substantial amount, which will go towards creating some fantastic football facilities.”

The University also runs a Talented Athlete Programme (TAP) which supports elite athletes to encourage their academic and sporting excellence during their studies.

Funding has also been used to create a Football Development Officer to help implement the University’s Football Development Plan. The plan has been designed to improve the football experience for university community, provide more flexible playing opportunities and ultimately increase local participation in football. Last year the university became the official training partner of Hull City Tigers, offering the chance to make long-lasting links between the club and the University.

Paul Thorogood, Chief Executive of the Football Foundation, said: “Since 2000, the Foundation has awarded 195 grants worth £9.8m across East Riding towards grassroots sports projects worth nearly £44.3m with money generously provided by our funders: the Premier League, The FA and the Government, via Sport England.”

University of Hull