The top venues in Cardiff to watch the Six Nations this year

Whether you’ll be wanting a Guinness, a loaded burger, or both, we’ve got you covered

Every year, Cardiff city centre becomes a consuming hub for rugby fans. Venues reach full capacity hours before kick off time and the “friendly” rivalry between Wales and England is inescapable. With the Six Nations fast approaching, those who haven’t secured tickets to watch Warren Gatland’s squad play at the Principality Stadium will surely need help finding the best venues to watch the fixtures unfold. So, in order to avoid that FOMO, here are our recommendations.

The Taf

An oldie but a goldie. The Students’ Union’s pub is undoubtedly a safe option to watch the games. The Taf has said to promise live coverage of the rugby “across nine HD screens”. Surrounded by students alike, with arguably some of the cheapest food and drinks in Cardiff, this should definitely be considered. The Taf has announced it will be taking walk ins, so make sure you get there well before the match to secure a table right in front of those HD screens.

Boom Battle Bar

An iconic bar in Cardiff. Boom Bar is always a great option to watch live sports and the Six Nations is no exception. Not only does it serve exceptional cocktails, but its famous “Boom Bites” are always a hit. If you get bored during halftime, it’s no problem at Boom Bar. With its “Battleground Games” ranging from ping pong to axe throwing, Boom Bar will make for a fun viewing of the rugby. Bookings to watch the Six Nations at Boom Battle Bar can be made on its website.

Gassy’s

A very popular venue to watch sports matches at the heart of Cathays. Gassy’s has said it will provide live coverage of the rugby on “huge HD screens”, with of course “the widest selection of craft beer”. Plus, when the night has ended and you’re craving those cheesy chips, Mamas is only a short stumble across the road. Be sure to book tables online for Gassy’s as it’s bound to be packed during the Six Nations.

The Prince of Wales

Cardiff’s finest Wetherspoons, situated across the road from O’Neill’s and a stones throw from the Principality, is a great option if your plans don’t leave the group-chat until the very last minute. Taking walk-ins, serving iconic pub food and cheap drinks, this reliable pub will see you through the night.

Depot

Why not ditch Depot’s famous Bingo Lingo Fridays for its Six Nations events? Only a 15 minute taxi ride away, Depot is covering the live matches on massive screens. Said to provide the “best street food” and “finest ales” to keep fans energised into the night, Depot is definitely a serious shout for your Six Nations plans. Make sure to book your tickets online as soon as possible as they normally sell out pretty fast.

Walkabout

The Marmite of St Mary’s Street, you either love it or hate it. Walkabout will be screening the Six Nations fixtures well into the night. Having said to promise a “roaring atmosphere”, huge pint glasses and a “Six Nations Burger”, this venue definitely makes our recommendations list. Walkabout has a kick out time of 3am on Thursdays through to Sunday. Not only can you enjoy the match spirit, but depending on the outcome, you can dance in celebration or knock back drinks in despair. Bookings for Walkabout can be made online.

Temple Bar Cardiff

A new addition to Cardiff’s array of bars, we’re sure Temple Bar will provide a new and exciting viewing of The Six Nations this year, for those of you who want to switch it up and try something new. Opening just days before the Six Nations kick off and promising screenings of all fixtures, Temple Bar Cardiff is said to bring the “proper good craic” to your Six Nations plans. With a vast amount of HD screens and Guinness on tap, this is bound to be an ideal night. Bookings for Temple Bar Cardiff can be made online.