Outrage over ‘victim-blaming’ uni video

Students, AUSA and rape charity unite in uproar over uni campaign

“She’s gone home, alone, in the dark, through a dimly lit part of the town. She’s been-”

And then a lettuce screams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmuzXJlhqSU

This is a video released by Aberdeen University in a pathetic attempt to raise safety awareness.

But students are in uproar, accusing the university of “victim-blaming” in the “disgusting and patronising” video.

And Rape and Support Aberdeen have branded the video “pretty awful”.

The uni’s impression of a female student…

This is the latest in a series of embarrassing blunders made by the uni.

Instead of housing the freshers they made homeless, they poured money into an animation that students are describing as “victim-blaming, scaremongering, with no cohesive message”.

The out-of-touch clip is targeted at freshers, although it comes across as an animation for children.

In it, a group of stereotypical Scottish characters discuss where “Madame Fromage” has disappeared to after a night out.

They discuss that she chose to go out drinking, that she chose to go with two of her male friends, and that she chose to walk home alone.

And although it’s clear the assumption is she has been assaulted, at no point is the onus put on the attacker.

Amy Baxter, a third year, said: “For the university to imply that having a drink, friends of the opposite sex, and wearing heels are all “irresponsible” things to do completely disregards the fact that they are victims to a crime.

“The message which should have been portrayed to new students is rape is wrong and that looking out for one and other at night is one of the important ways to stay safe.”

And if this wasn’t bad enough, the characters are portrayed through household groceries, as to “lighten up” the dark realities behind the story.

Genna Clarke, President of Welfare and Equal Opportunities, condemned the video after the university failed to communicate with AUSA before commissioning the video:

“It’s just shocking that anyone could have created or watched that back and thought ‘yeah that’s appropriate for university students and really gets the message across.’

“There doesn’t seem to be a message.

“I’m really gutted because I was looking forward to seeing how the University were hoping to increase awareness around safety and was keen to get on board.

“As it stands I will not be backing a campaign that puts the blame on the victim.”

The uni’s attempt to appeal to students undermines thousands of women, and men, who can fall victim to abuse every year.

Shannon Milne for Rape and Abuse Support Aberdeen said: “They’ve chosen to go down the dark alley, attacked by a stranger route when in reality these are the minority of what actually happens.”

Rape Crisis Scotland reports show a staggering 52% of cases of rape and sexual assault in adults had been the result of their partner. Shannon said:

“We have been made aware of the video by students as well as the press; the overall view of it as patronising and vague whilst being centered around victim blaming is one that we share.

“Violence against women is an issue for Scotland as a whole and therefore is something that all Universities need to tackle but the onus should always be placed on the attacker; the person committing the crime.”

“Teaching people to not rape rather than how to not get raped is the move our society needs to embrace.”