menendez brothers milli vanilli

Wait, did the Menendez brothers really play Milli Vanilli at their parents’ memorial?

The song choice was honestly so bizarre

If you’ve watched Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story on Netflix, you’ll definitely recall the insane moment when the brothers play a Milli Vanilli song at their parents’ memorial. The idea seemed so strange that I actually had to stop and question whether this was some weird Ryan Murphy dramatisation or if it really did happen.

I was honestly so shocked when Lyle finished his eulogy at the memorial, and then Girl I’m Gonna Miss You by Milli Vanilli started playing: What were the Menendez brothers thinking? The entire audience seemed incredibly uncomfortable, but I guess that’s the whole point of the show.

The truth is that it wasn’t an artistic choice at all – it really happened. Robert Rand, author of The Menendez Murders: The Shocking Untold Story of the Menendez Family and the Killings that Stunned the Nation, confirmed that the song was really played to memorialise Jose and Kitty Menendez.

He wrote on the 20th of August this year: “The Milli Vanilli song ‘Miss You’ was also played at the Directors Guild memorial service for Jose and Kitty, parents of the #MenendezBrothers, on August 25, 1989, 35 years ago this week.”

Creator of the show Ryan Murphy has also commented on the strange memorial song: “The choice of Lyle playing a Milli Vanilli song at his parents’ memorial – you really can’t make up.”

Maybe we’ll find out more about the real reason why the Menendez brothers chose such a weird song to play at their parents’ memorial in the Netflix documentary that premieres on the 7th of October, where the brothers finally break their silence.

Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.