Nicola Coughlan reveals she and Luke Newton made awkward error during *that* carriage scene

A producer ran up to the carriage door and had to tell them to stop what they were doing

Is anyone else still thinking about that carriage scene during season three of Bridgerton? Don’t worry, we all are, it’s fine to admit it. The scene everyone is talking about, and probably will be forever, sees Penelope Featherington and Colin Bridgerton finally give into their desires. And it’s… steamy.

However, speaking in an interview about filming it, Nicola Coughlan who plays Pen has said she and Colin Bridgerton actor Luke Newton had a bit of a mishap with the filming crew. Let’s just say, this one is a bit awkward.

It seems the couple were so committed to making the Pen and Colin scenes authentic for the viewers, that they got a little bit lost in the moment. So much so, they were literally ignoring production crew members who had called cut on the scene. Yes, really. They just… kept going.

Following Penelope leaving the ball in episode four of season three part one, Colin jumps into her carriage. They then admit their feelings for one another, and the rest, well you know the rest.

Bridgerton season three carriage scene

via Netflix

Nicola has since said she and Luke were told by camera crew to “stop” after filming for a while, but completely missed the cues because they were so engrossed. “We had so much control, we felt really empowered,” she said in an interview with The Today Show. “We knew what points we had to hit but it didn’t feel stilted or choreographed. We just were like, I trust you, you trust me, let’s make it the best it can be.”

She then admitted she and Luke couldn’t actually hear the director from within the carriage, so they just decided for go for it. Of course! Nicola added: “We didn’t know though, they actually called ‘Cut!’ and we couldn’t hear them. So they were all looking at us in the monitors being like, ‘What are they doing? What are they doing? What are they doing?’

“And the director had to come over and be like, ‘WHAT WERE YOU DOING!? I told you to stop!'” Luke then added: “I think the last stop was like, ‘STOOOOP!'”

In the end, episode four’s director Andrew Ahn had to run up to the carriage door to actually stop Luke and Nicola and tell them that they had cut. Hilarious.

Part one of Bridgerton season three is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.