Grace Beverley illegal ad

Grace Beverley responds to allegations of her ‘illegal ad practices’ with her brand TALA

Another TikTok alleged that TALA ‘isn’t actually as sustainable as it wants to seem’

Grace Beverley, influencer and founder of activewear company TALA has responded to recent allegations denying her “illegal ad practices” on TikTok.

Yesterday, Grace Beverley posted an eight-minute long statement on TikTok captioned: “I hope this clears that up” where she addresses allegations made by another TikToker who branded her “the queen of illegal ad practices.”

Last week, a TikToker who has “worked in influencer and social marketing for years and years” posted a video, which has now been deleted, where she claims “Grace Beverley is the queen of illegal ad practices”.

She alleged that because Grace does not use #AD on a lot of her content promoting her own products, she was breaking AHA advertising regulations by not declaring this. The creator alleged that the average person would not know that Grace was the founder and CEO of TALA and therefore not realise her content was aimed at promoting her business. This, she alleged, was breaking the law.

In the comments, Grace initially responded to these allegations and said: “This is a HUGE accusation. I’ve actually spoken directly to the ASA about this so we can get clear guidance for entrepreneurs. Interestingly, only female entrepreneurs seem to be called up for this when it’s very clear the companies I own and the terminology I use.

“I’d love to hear your opinion on eg. Ben Francis’s or Steven Bartlett’s posting? I’ve invited the ASA into open conversation – you’ll see I disclose all ads by brands very clearly, but interestingly it’s only female entrepreneurs that are called up for this as they’re the ones seen as influencers. I highlighted the discrepancies in reporting and am continuing the conversation with them. But would love to hear if you consider it the same?

Grace Beverley illegal ad

“As I said, myself and other female entrepreneurs have been in extensive conversations with the ASA including specific scenario planning and clarification so don’t worry, all is in hand. However, I wouldn’t necessarily say that your TikTok is particularly transparent considering it seems to be pulling people down to promote your own business in a way designed specifically for views. But hopefully, we’ll all have some clarification soon!”

However, yesterday, Grace posted a full statement on TikTok. It begins: “At the weekend, there was a video made with a very very serious accusation which was stated as unequivocal fact gaining a huge amount of traction ending up with me gaining a torrent of abuse.”

In the video, she explains how she has hired advertising specialist lawyers to assess the allegations made against her. She explains that although there are grey areas, they believe she was acting within legal advertising guidelines. She says the original video missed out the section of the guidelines that says when it is clear that you are the owner of the brand it is okay not to put #AD on your videos.

She said: “It is categorically not illegal to not put #AD on content you use promoting your own business. It can still be clear from the context without specific disclosure.”

The official guidelines, which Grace posted a screenshot of in her video read: “If you are promoting your own products or services on your own channels – provided it’s clear that you’re talking about your own products – people are usually able to recognise that you’re advertising you’re own stuff.”

Grace Beverley illegal ad

She continued: “To do a video calling someone the queen of illegal ad practices, using a one sided argument missing out significant parts of the guidelines is just not ok.”

Grace also spoke about the online abuse she has received since the original video was posted: “The response I received from this was completely unacceptable and disproportionate. Even if I had broken or flouted multiple guidelines, you hear ‘be kind’ online and I cannot tell you how disgusting some of the messages I have received have been, and to my team. It is just not ok.”

The top comment on this statement reads: “I didn’t know that you and TALA were linked at all lol”. The second comment adds: “I can see both sides, knew you owned TALA but not everyone will.”

As well as these allegations, Grace Beverley has also been under fire over discussions of sustainability in her business TALA.

Last week, she posted a TikTok celebrating achieving one million worth of sales within an hour on TALA’s new collection. But on Tuesday, @GAIA posted a TikTok looking into whether selling this large number of items in an hour could be sustainable. She claims: “In no world is selling one million worth of stock in an hour sustainable, it just isn’t.”

@gaia_garments

Saw this video and had to talk about it – is this sustainable??? #sustainablefashion #fyp #vinted #thrifting #smallbusiness

♬ original sound – GAIA

The creator calculated the number of items sold based on the average £150 price of one puffer jacket which is around 6,666 items in an hour which, she alleges, is “reflective of a fast fashion brand.”

The video continued: “Before anyone calls me a hater and say I don’t want to see anyone do well I absolutely do. As a woman who owns a sustainable business I want women-owned business and sustainable businesses to do well but I think it is so important when you see things like this to just address them and let people know that this company isn’t actually as sustainable as it wants to seem.”

She also highlights how a lot of TALA clothing is made from recycled polyester. She said: “Companies love to use recycled polyester to get like a sustainability tick but actually recycled polyester isn’t really that good for the environment. It’s still releasing micro-plastics.” She alleges that this can be considered “green-washing” and that TALA might not be as sustainable as it markets itself as.

As well as coming under fire for lack of sustainability, multiple people have also claimed they were unhappy with the quality of their TALA clothing. One comment on the TikTok reads: “I had a pair of leggings that split after five weeks” and another says: “I’ve had two pairs of leggings and both ripped.”

“The gym stuff I’ve had from TALA has been the most poor for longevity out of all my gym wear. some of my fast fashion gym wear has lasted me years,” a third one adds.

Grace Beverley also recently came under fire for asking her followers to buy her products in order to fund her wedding.

The Tab contacted Grace Beverley who declined to comment. 

Featured image via Instagram and TikTok.