Who was Si Spencer? The man episode one of Bodies on Netflix pays tribute to

‘He was a really intelligent, generous and compassionate man’

Netflix has just released a new hotly anticipated drama starring Stephen Graham. Bodies is set across four time periods, and the first episode of the show is dedicated to man called Si Spencer.

Bodies is a police procedural with a twist. When a body – the same body – is found on Longharvest Lane in London’s East End in 1890, 1941, 2023 and 2053, one detective from each period must investigate.

So, you might be wondering who Si Spencer was and why he was so pivotal to Bodies on Netflix being created.

Si Spencer in Bodies on Netflix

via Netflix

Si Spencer was a British comic book writer and TV dramatist and editor

Si Spencer was a British comic book writer and TV dramatist and editor, with his work appearing in British comics such as Crisis, before he moved to the American comics industry.

Bodies on Netflix is based on the mind-bending graphic novel by Si Spencer, with the same name. The comic was released in 2015, and Si Spencer teamed up with four different illustrators, each of which gave each time frame its unique feel. As well as his work as an author, Si was also a scriptwriter, and during his career worked on shows such as Grange Hill, EastEnders and The Bill.

Si Spencer sadly passed away from heart failure in February 2021, just before his 60th birthday. At the time of his death, a close friend paid tribute and said: “He would’ve been 60 this August. He was one of the good ones. It was fun to be around him. He was a really intelligent, generous and compassionate man.

“He knew a lot of people. Simon was friendly and approachable – and he was very supportive of other artists and writers. I know he was a mentor figure for some up-and-coming artists. He was well-known for being very inventive with his writing.”

Bodies is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.