Barbie movie premiere

Barbie finally premiered last night, so here’s everything iconic that went down

‘It’s a cinematic triumph – poignant, clever and hilarious’

When Lana Del Rey famously sang heaven is a place on earth with you, I think the you in question was actually to Greta Gerwig. Greta Gerwig makes the world a better place, and at this point in the Barbie release schedule I think it’s gone beyond even mattering if the film is a success (which it obvs will be) – the build up to the film has been a pop culture event with impact all on its own. I actually don’t think I’ve ever remembered such an extensive and unrelenting release schedule that misses 0 marks in my lifetime. It’s insane to sit back and watch it all unfold. Last night, Barbie finally premiered to an audience in LA and the antics that went down were of course legendary. Here’s everything that went down at the premiere of the Barbie movie.

Two Barbies met: Margot Robbie and Nicki Minaj

Quite an iconic meeting of minds when you think about it. Greta Gerwig’s very own Barbie meeting the queen of rap who’s literally referenced Barbie her whole career? I simply have to wow.

Nicki Minaj seemed genuinely buzzing

This hair looks TOO good on her.

Pedro Pascal vroomed up in a pink convertible

I would do anything for that man.

Margot Robbie continued dressing like classic Barbies

This one’s called Solo in the Spotlight and let’s face it, it’s a showstopper.

Trixie Mattel was there, naturally

If there’s one queen from RuPaul’s Drag Race who deserved to be on that red carpet, we all know it was Trixie. I’m actually shocked Greta didn’t get her in the film somehow.

Ava Max had an awkward interview

Why does this always happen to our poor princess of pop? Never forget the Elton John interview. She can’t catch a break.

Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling were literally mum and dad

They just look so perfect I could actually sob.

Most importantly, the first reviews are in…

Lucky journalists and film bloggers got to see what went down last night, and the reviews make the hype even bigger. Katcy Stephan of Variety said “Greta Gerwig delivers a nuanced commentary on what it means to be a woman in a whimsical, wonderful and laugh-out-loud funny romp. The entire cast shines, especially Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling.”

Particular hype has gone to Ryan Gosling’s scene stealing Ken performance, with people demanding an Oscar nomination.

If the Barbie movie premiere is anything to go by, we’re in for the film event of the year.