‘Beautiful, witty and hilarious’: Tributes pour in for ‘much-loved’ Brianna Ghey

The trans 16-year-old was murdered in a park this weekend

Tributes have poured in for Brianna Ghey, after the trans 16-year-old was found stabbed in a park.

Brianna’s family have called her “strong, fearless and one of a kind. The loss of her young life has left a massive hole in our family”, they said.

On Saturday 11th February, Brianna’s body was found with stab wounds in Linear Park in Cheshire. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Two 15-year-olds, a boy and a girl, have been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Cheshire Police said: “We are doing all that we can to establish the exact circumstances of what has happened. At this time, there is no evidence to suggest that the circumstances surrounding Brianna’s death are hate related.”

Brianna’s family have led the tributes to their “much loved” daughter, calling her “beautiful, witty and hilarious” and saying her death has left “a massive hole”.

via GoFundMe

In a statement released via the police, Brianna’s family said: “Brianna was a much loved daughter, granddaughter, and baby sister. She was a larger than life character who would leave a lasting impression on all that met her. Brianna was beautiful, witty and hilarious. Brianna was strong, fearless and one of a kind.

“The loss of her young life has left a massive hole in our family, and we know that the teachers and her friends who were involved in her life will feel the same.

“We would like to thank everyone for their kind words and support during this extremely difficult time. We would like to thank the police for their support, and witnesses for helping with the investigation. The continuation of respect for privacy is greatly appreciated.”

via Cheshire Police

In a tweet, Labour MP Jess Phillips said: “Utterly tragic. Love especially to the parents of Brianna Ghey, unimaginable loss.”

Fellow Labour MP Nadia Whittome tweeted: “Rest in peace, Brianna Ghey 🤍

“Brianna deserved a chance to become a beautiful adult woman, and to live to see a world where trans people are safe and respected. Anyone in the media who is using her deadname and erasing Brianna’s identity should be ashamed of themselves.”

Senthorun Raj, a professor in human rights law at Manchester Law School, tweeted: “Young trans people deserve to thrive in a world that nurtures their humanity. Their lives must be protected, not debated. We all have a responsibility to challenge the insidious ways the media and politicians dehumanise trans people.”

Mermaids, a charity which supports trans and gender diverse children and young people, said: “Our thoughts are with the loved ones of Brianna Ghey, a trans teenager who was murdered in Cheshire this weekend”, and pointed to their helpline for anyone who has been affected.

A GoFundMe has raised over £18,500, although it is not clear who the fundraiser’s organisers are. “We would like to help the Ghey family who has had their beautiful daughter cruelly taken from them in the most shocking and heartbreaking way”, it says.

“Brianna was an outgoing, confident girl. She brought a lot of laughter to those who knew her. She was looking forward to taking her exams this year and beginning her journey into the adult world.

“We have set up this page to help the family at this truly devastating time. We need your support to help them with funeral costs (we want to make this pink and colourful to match her personality) and ask if you can spare anything no matter how small to try to relieve their stress and allow them to grieve their beautiful daughter.”

Along with the donations, many have left emotional messages. “Rest in peace my trans sister, we all mourn your loss x”, one says. “So sorry for your loss. Trans lives matter”, says another.

Cheshire Police have asked anyone with information to call 101 quoting IML 1476832 or report on their website. Information can also be passed on to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story you can contact Switchboard, the LGBTQ+ helpline, on 0300 330 0630 or visit their website. You can also find help through young people’s charity The Mix, and Galop, the LGBTQ+ anti-violence charity.