Netflix is making a true crime documentary about the Yorkshire Ripper

Peter Sutcliffe is currently serving a life sentence for his crimes

Hide Images

Netflix is set to release a new true crime documentary about the Yorkshire Ripper. The Yorkshire Ripper documentary will explore the crimes of Peter Sutcliffe, who murdered 13 women.

The show will bring his crimes into the limelight again, through the view point of victim's families and surviving victims. The show will also reportedly uncover crimes the killer was not convicted for.

Peter Sutcliffe, known as the Yorkshire Ripper

A source told the Mirror: "This will be a huge programme for Netflix and is likely to follow the same format as the Madeleine programme.

"It will focus on victims and the terrible impact of his attacks. It will also ­examine the dreadful ­police blunders around the case. Crucially, it will try to throw up fresh clues about crimes Sutcliffe has never been convicted of.

"That would help make it a smash hit both in the UK – and other countries like America and Australia where he is a notorious name."

A relative of one victim told the Mirror: "They are speaking to a lot of people and ­going back over everything, treating it very seriously and also like a new ­investigation into him."

Peter Sutcliffe's police mugshot

Peter Sutcliffe confessed to being the Yorkshire Ripper, a name given to the killer by the press, and was jailed in 1981. The former lorry driver attacked and murdered 13 women between 1976 and 1981, and attempted to kill seven more. Most of his victims were sex workers, who he killed using knives, hammers and screwdrivers.

He is now 72-years-old, and serving a life sentence for his crimes. When he was convicted he was sent to Broadmoor Hospital. Sutcliffe is reported to have been transferred from Broadmoor to Frankland Prison in Durham in August 2016.

Broadmoor Hospital, via Creative Commons

This isn't the first documentary that has been made about the Yorkshire Ripper. The BBC created "The Yorkshire Ripper Files: A Very British Crime Story". The three-part series is available to stream on BBC iPlayer.

The new Yorkshire Ripper documentary follows a number of true crime series on Netflix. It is said to be a similar format to the Madeleine McCann documetary, The Disappearance of Madeline McCann, which aired on Netflix in March.

Other popular true crime series on Netflix recently includes Conversations With a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes, which was then made into a film with Zac Efron playing the serial killer.

For all the latest Netflix releases, news and gossip like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.