From Dusk to Zaap Thai: A York student’s guide to York Restaurant Week

Time to finally tick ‘flat meal out’ off that York bucket list

If you’re a York student, you’re probably guilty of having a long list of York eateries which you’ll “definitely go to sometime soon”. This list however never seems to get shorter, and when summer rolls around you might realise that the closest thing to a meal out that you experienced with your uni friends was a post-night out cheesy chips from Salt and Pepper.

Or, perhaps you’ve been ready to book that table but then realised that the restaurant you’ve been eyeing up doesn’t quite fit into the uni budget. Well, if that’s the case, then York Restaurant Week (running from the 14 to the 20th October) is the week to finally make that restaurant trip happen – explore what York has to offer! Live out those York tourist dreams!

With several restaurants and offers to choose from on the YRW website, it can be difficult to sift out the student-friendly deals from the less student friendly three course meal for £30 offers. Although scrolling through the YRW website is a totally valid form of procrastination from uni work, there’s now no need! From brunch to three course dinners, here’s our top picks for YRW’s student friendly offers (all under £15)!

Let’s start off strong with dinners and lunches…

Bill’s

Whether you go for a lunch or dinner out, this is the chance to live it up and enjoy a starter, main and a dessert from the Bill’s set menu. Perhaps a starter of calamari, followed by a mac and cheese and topped off with mini cinnamon doughnuts? Or maybe a starter of roast squash hummus and flatbread, followed by spicy duck salad and finished with a chocolate and salted caramel tart sounds more up your street? Whatever you go for, this is a great opportunity to get your money’s worth this restaurant week.

29 States The Indian Kitchen

If Bill’s isn’t quite your vibe, or if you’d rather save a fiver and just get a starter and a main for £10, then perhaps 29 States The Indian Kitchen is the deal for you? Grab your flatmates, gather your friends, and enjoy a starter and a curry from the set menu at this wonderful restaurant located just opposite Clifford’s Tower.

La Piazza Antica

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by La Piazza (@lapiazzayork)

While some of the evening offers at La Piazza Antica may not be in the student budget, it’s still possible to live it up at this lovely restaurant with a two course meal and a glass of wine for £15 if you go for their lunch offer. The good news is, you can choose which two courses you’d like from their set lunch menu – you can go for their iconic arancini or their soup of the day to start, or, if you prefer to finish your meal with something sweet, perhaps a tiramisu or some gelato.

Middle Feast

Image via @dairyfreeglutenfreegee on Instagram

A large wrap, a portion of chips and a nice crisp can of pop for just a tenner, what more could you want in life? Middle Feast is a staple in the York food scene, and you can sit in or takeout. Sounds perfect.

Fat Hippo

Fat Hippo is a classic York spot that you’ve probably eyed up many times when walking through the city centre. Well, with the offer of a starter, main and a side for £15, perhaps now’s the time to finally get that burger you’ve been dreaming of! With delicious beef, chicken and vegan options, and starter choices from their iconic frickles (fried pickles), trash browns or dirty waffles, this deal sounds like the perfect hangover cure to drag your friends to next week.

Dusk

Any York student will know that Dusk knows how to do a good deal. You’ve probably tried their iconic two for one cocktails, but perhaps you’ve yet to get to Dusk early enough to try their equally tasty pizza! Enjoy that beautifully thin slice of your choice with some fries and of course a nice crisp pint – the perfect pre-cocktail night snack?

Pho

While Pho isn’t a York original restaurant, its YRW deals certainly can’t be overlooked. Prawn crackers (or prawnless crackers for the veggies), a warming bowl of phở (or a different main of your choice) and a Saigon beer or glass of wine for £15 – what better way to spend a chilly October evening?

Zaap Thai

Finally, why not head to one of York’s student favourites, Zaap Thai, for a starter, main and a beer or glass of wine from its set menu for £15. I’m very tempted.

Onto breakfast and brunch, the ultimate student faves…

Social 8 Lounge

Brunch in town is another classic staple on the York student’s bucket list. Well, no need to wait until post-exam celebrations, why not treat yourself to a little midterm brunch now? Social 8 Lounge offers brunch and a hot drink for £10 and is the perfect excuse to get that brunch ticked off your list – smashed avocado and egg on toast with a cappuccino? Scotch pancakes and a latte? Sign me up!

Heavenly Desserts

From 10am to 4pm, Heavenly Desserts is offering two breakfasts and two hot drinks for just £15. Why not enjoy breakfast and a drink with a friend at Heavenly Desserts next week for just £7.50? Or, with how tempting those croffles look, perhaps you’ll find that a double breakfast situation is perfectly manageable.

Plush Café

Besides deals on cakes and drinks, Plush café is also offering its iconic rainbow bagel for just a fiver next week. While the offer is only available before noon, its range of tempting fillings from cream cheese, avocado and smoked salmon, to smoked back bacon, brie and cranberry sauce are a pretty good reason to get up and out into town.

Double Dutch Pancake House

If you still haven’t got your brunch fix, or maybe are just in need of a little sweet pick-me-up, then perhaps Double Dutch Pancake House’s offer of a sweet pancake and a drink for a fiver is just what you’re looking for!

The Potions Express

Getting a train somewhere in the next week? Why not grab a friend and take them to The Potions Express to enjoy a bacon sandwich and a hot drink with you? The Potions Express is offering two bacon sandwiches and two hot drinks for just a fiver, meaning that each item costs just over a pound! This deal is an absolute steal and certainly one way to make the most of York Restaurant Week.

The Hole in the Wand

Although you’ve probably heard of Hole in the Wand’s magical mini-golf, you probably haven’t thought of popping in for a coffee and cake. Well, with the offer of two hot drinks and two cakes for a fiver, perhaps now’s the time to consider it!

So, you’ve made your decision? What’s next?

All you have to do is select your chosen offer via the YRW website, specify the number of people in your party and click “add to basket”. Once you’ve done this, fill in a quick form and your offer will be sent to your email. What are you waiting for? Start getting those deals in the inbox, gathering your friends, and digging in to some scran which will taste 10 times better knowing you’re getting it cheaper than you would the week after!