Notts-based supporters of Animal Rebellion ‘Paint The Streets’ in night of national action

In Hockley, Lace Market, and Sherwood the posters and paint could be seen

Last night, on the eve before Valentine’s Day, local Nottingham-based supporters of Animal Rebellion put up posters across Nottingham city centre reading “Don’t break any hearts this Valentine’s, be part of a plant-based future”, whilst also spray-painting stylised pawprints featuring hearts.

It was an act that questions whether Britain is a nation that lives up to its label of a ‘nation of animal lovers’. In Hockley, Lace Market, and Sherwood the posters and paint could be seen.

Olivia Watts, 28, a Finance Assistant said: “This Valentine’s we hope to see everyone extend their love beyond humans and to show compassion for our non-human friends and nature itself.

She went on to say:“I’m hoping these posters will act as a catalyst to shift the narrative and help provide a world where everyone’s rights are respected, and that we can live in harmony together on a planet that’s filled to the brim with love for all.”

In 2018, comprehensive research from the University of Oxford showed that 76 per cent of the land currently used for food production would be freed-up by a global transition to plant-based production. This land could be rewilded and begin carbon drawdown, mitigating the worst impacts of climate breakdown. A 2019 Harvard University report on UK farmland and food production from Helen Harwatt and Matthew N. Hayek also concluded that the UK would be carbon-negative if it completely transitioned to a plant-based food system.

Animal Rebellion says they are “urging wholesale governmental and societal support for farmers and fishing communities to transition to a plant-based food system and programme of rewilding that will secure a future for generations to come.”

Other cities and towns in the UK targeted by Animal Rebellion include London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Bedford, and Manchester

All photos, including cover image, used with permission from Animal Rebellion.

Here are all the ways you can help the victims affected by the Turkey and Syria earthquakes

UoN students join Animal Rebellion to protest the opening of new animal sanctuary in Notts

• Person suffered burn injuries as laser printer catches fire on Nottingham Trent campus