Trial date set after Northumbria student found dead in uni halls

Aaron Ray is set to go on trial on March 14th

A trial date has been set for a man accused of the murder of Northumbria student, Jason Brockbanks.

Jason, 24, originally from Cumbria, was confirmed dead by emergency services in Mansion Tyne student accommodation complex in September last year.

Aaron Ray, of Sunderland, was arrested and charged with the murder of Jason in October and later pleaded not guilty at Newcastle Crown Court. Ray, 21is set to go on trial on March 14th, with a five day estimate.

An abundance of tributes poured in after the news of Jason’s death, where he was described as “kind and genuine” and a “lovely young man”.

He was said to be the type of person who “would do anything for anyone” and “would always ask if you were okay”.

If you are a Northumbria University student feeling unsettled about the news, please be aware that support is available. You can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the Ask4Help service and specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team. To access these services please visit Student Life and Wellbeing.

If you are a Newcastle University student and need support, you can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the TalkCampus and iNCLude service and find specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team. To access these services please visit Student Wellbeing.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.