I went to Scotland’s first rodeo bar to let you know if it’s worth the visit

Came for the mechanical bull, stayed for the vibes

As we approach winter, when we’re all too broke for the cloakroom and freezing cold, maybe you and your friends are hunting for a new cosy bar instead of your usual Firewater Thursday or Polo Wednesday.

Well, Maggie’s Rock n Rodeo might be the place for you. It’s a new Western-themed bar in the city centre in Trongate, complete with a great selection of cocktails and a mechanical bull. Wondering if it’s worth a visit? Me and my friends went recently, so here are our thoughts and ratings.

Aesthetic: (5/5)

If you’re looking for a picture-worthy location, this is the one. The entire bar is beautiful, staying true to the Western theme and including things such as old wooden flooring, posters on the ceiling and warm lighting, making you feel instantly welcomed. There is seating for everybody and a bar facing the stage. Everything about the interior design makes you want to stay, especially on a cold night. Me and my friends were instantly in awe of just how much effort had been put into keeping it classic, but also visually pleasing.

Drinks: (3/5)

The drinks menu, although not as great as the aesthetic of the bar, was still good. From themed cocktails to just ciders or a gin and tonic, they have it all. It also includes non-alcoholic options, for those who don’t drink (or who have classes the next day). Although a bigger menu is always preferred, Maggie’s manages to fit in several different types of drinks, just in smaller numbers. There is no doubt you’ll find a drink you like.

Entertainment: (5/5)

Watching the football? Listening to live music? Feel like riding a bull? Maggie’s Bar delivers all three and more. They have multiple large-screen televisions, which we took full advantage of on the night we went. There are also smaller TVs besides the booth seats, perfect for sitting and watching along with friends.

If sports isn’t your thing, they also provide amazing live music. I haven’t been able to find the musicians playing on Thursday night, but they created an incredible atmosphere with their talent. They have multiple tables facing the stage, letting you fully immerse yourself in the experience.

We also can’t forget the mechanical bull – the main selling point of this new bar. Unfortunately, we didn’t get a chance to try it out, but it is both easy to find and slightly secluded (for those who aren’t keen on falling on their ass in public). Hopefully, next time I go I can try it out.

There is also line dancing, ceilidhs and other events – if those interest you more.

Price (3.5/5)

Finally – the most important part. Is it worth your money?

We decided that yes, it is. Booking a table is actually free, which gave us a booth seat and a TV on a very busy night, which was lovely and kept us away from the slightly rowdier sports fans. The drinks are definitely on the pricier side, reaching nearly £10 for a cocktail, but I think that this is still a great spot even if you aren’t drinking. A cider was £4 if you are looking for a reference point for your regular drinks.

The bull is free to use with the purchase of food and drinks, which we didn’t find out until afterwards, and you can buy tickets for their more themed and focused events, such as a cowboy ceilidh.

All in all, for such an incredible and unique atmosphere, as well as live music and no limit on entertainment, we agreed that Maggie’s Rock n Rodeo is definitely worth a visit!