Our guide to the best Valentine’s Day date locations in 2024

Love is in the air this Valentine’s Day in Cardiff

Whether you’re looking for date inspiration for you and your significant other, or planning a Galentine’s date, we’ve got you covered.

Cardiff has so much to offer, from bars and restaurants, immersive and interactive venues, walks and hikes – the options are endless. So, we’ve narrowed it down to our favourites for this year, with a variety of price points and experiences.

Bars and Restaurants

A simple yet effective idea for your V-Day date is going out for a meal or for some drinks, and Cardiff has plenty of places for you.

Here are some restaurants on the pricier side, but nonetheless have been highly recommended: Le Monde, Nook, The Corner House, The Ivy or Ivy Asia.

A great setting for good food and drinks, and sometimes even live music, is Rhostio on Crwys Road. Their coffees and breakfast foods are delicious, and they offer great happy hour deals on cocktails in the evening.

If you’re interested in going to a more interactive bar, where you can play games and compete with your partner/friends, head over to the likes of Roxy Lanes, Flight Club, Boom Bar and NQ64.

Bottomless Brunch

Fancy getting drunk on a weekday at 2pm? Why not try a bottomless brunch. There are so many venues that provide bottomless brunch in the city. From Slug and Lettuce to Turtle Bay, or you could try Revolución de Cuba to Las Iguanas, The Botanist or Tonight Josephine – the list goes on.

This idea is great value for money too, as most price points settle around £30. It is definitely worth it for a plate of food and (mostly) unlimited drinks. Plus, a lot of places might offer student discount, but it is notable to make sure they accept it on Valentine’s Day.

Jazz Bars

Live out your La La Land fantasy with your loved ones.

If you’re looking for something more sophisticated than your typical Cardiff night out, look into going to a jazz bar. There are a few that Cardiff have to offer, with cosy mood lighting and fantastic drinks – perfect for a romantic evening. Such as Rum & Fizz, The Bootlegger, Flute & Tankard and The Dead Canary.

Active dates

Aside from all the alcohol-infused dates in Cardiff, there are plenty of wholesome, sober activities for you to try.

You could spend your Valentine’s Day at Ninja Warrior testing your strength and agility, play a round of mini golf at Golf Fang, or take a walk around Bute Park, Roath Lake or Pontcanna fields and head for a coffee afterwards.

If you’re looking to head out slightly further from the city centre, why not go to Penarth for a stroll along the beach. Or, if you’re into hiking, you could go to Pen-Y-Fan for a sunrise hike (weather permitted).

Relationship or not, there are endless options to keep you busy this Valentine’s Day. But if none of these ideas take your fancy, you could have a cosy night in with flatmates and order a takeaway, or spend your typical Wednesday night in the SU.

Also, keep your calendars free for Monday 12th of February, as the Taylor Swift society are hosting Lover Fest 2.0 in Y Plas as their Valentine’s special, with music from Welsh Chicks. They will be playing the top tracks from Taylor Swift, The 1975, Harry Styles, Olivia Rodrigo, and many more.

Find out more information here.