Iconic Cathays brunch spot Social Eats has closed after three years of running

The owners have asked diners to send in their favourite memories of the restaurant

Social Eats on Salisbury Road in Cathays has closed down.

The brunch spot closed after three years of running with the owners, Laura and Mike asking for diners to send in pictures of their favourite Social Eats memories.

Social Eats was a very popular student place due to the healthy, affordable, and stunningly presented food. You could get waffles, avocado on toast, a variety of eggs dishes, and even pizza.

A number of Cardiff University students told The Cardiff Tab about how they’re feeling now Social Eats is closed. One student said: “I loved the fact my food came with edible flowers I thought it was so unique.”

Another added: “I’m quite sad about it closing, I remember one time eating with my home friends in Social Eats and laughing our heads off when a man with a unicycle cycled past.”

A third student also said they “loved the fact the food not only looked good but also tasted good.”

Master’s student, Charl said: “I loved having a brunch stop on my door step. It was great to support a local business and not have to walk into town to enjoy a Sunday afternoon brunch. I guess I’ll have to make my own avocado bagels from now on.”

Laura and Mike are also giving away their plates, bowls, and cups from the eatery via Social Eats’ social media accounts, all of which are handmade by Matt Jones.

There is no information on what will be replacing Social Eats as of yet.

Related stories recommended by this writer