Cardiff student running in memory of childhood friend and Nottingham attacks victim Barney Webber

They’re looking for people to join them this Thursday

Cardiff students have decided to run in memory of Barnaby Webber and in celebration of what would have been his 20th birthday.

Emily Yap, a fifth year mechanical engineering student at Cardiff University, started running over eight weeks ago to train for a 100km ultra marathon to raise money for the Barnaby Webber Foundation. The foundation has been set up in memory of Barney who was brutally murdered in Nottingham on June 13th 2023.

In light of Barney’s 20th birthday being this Thursday, on January 11th, Emily has planned a run to mark the occasion with something positive. To celebrate the 20 years, Emily and other Cardiff University students who want to join will be running 20km to mark the 20 years.

Students are encouraged to join, whether it’s for the whole run, part of the run or raise a drink in the pub afterwards. Everyone is welcome too, with a relaxed pace to fit the group.

The running route is split into two ten km loops, to give runners the option of doing the first, the second or both. Loops will also be different to ensure some variety if you’re planning on running both.

If you want to get involved or support from the sidelines, here is the route:

1. 5:00pm: Meet outside the Woodville Pub in Cathays to start the first ten km loop.
  2. 6:15pm: A second ten km loop from the same place with the aim to be back at by 7:30pm to have a drink insider the pub, non-alcoholic/dry January is fully supported.

Emily Yap told The Cardiff Tab: “Many people have heard about the brutal murders of the two Nottingham University students in June, along with the others that were injured and killed – all Barney and Grace did was come home late after a night out like many of us do in Cardiff. Sadly they never made it home.

“Barney was an extremely close family friend and my brother’s closest friend from the age of two. For many years, to mark their birthdays, they would share a party. From clowns and party games through to the good old drunken 18th, they did it together. This year Barney wasn’t here and there was an empty seat where he should be.
To mark this day I wanted to do something that epitomises everything Barney stood for – getting people together, having fun, doing something sporty and always followed by a trip to the pub.”

A call to all readers on behalf on Barnaby Webber’s friends and family, help keep his memory alive and share the work of the foundation set up in his memory.

Related articles recommended by this writer: