Joey Essex Big Brother

Debunked: Is Joey Essex going to be on Big Brother as a housemate or not?

He was in the house with Chelsea from Selling Sunset during Late & Live last night

There have been a lot of rumours over the weekend that Joey Essex would be heading onto Big Brother, in some capacity, as the show returns for a second season of its ITV reboot era. The rumours have not been received well. Joey Essex recently did a season of Love Island, which was random in and of itself, and did not come across great. He was once a well loved TOWIE legend, but it’s getting desperate – he was recently on Selling Sunset too as Chelsea showed him properties. With Joey Essex constantly popping up on reality shows, the rumour that he would be involved with Big Brother received major groans – but is he actually going to be a housemate down the line? Or come back to the house? Here’s what we know.

The rumours

Two days ago, the press reported that Joey Essex would be involved with the new season of Big Brother. A source said “Joey will absolutely appear in the new series, though he won’t be a contestant. As a reality TV veteran he is the perfect person to present to the housemates – he knows exactly what they will be feeling so he will be a real asset to the series. His full involvement is shrouded in secrecy but he made such brilliant telly on Love Island, ITV bosses are thrilled he is taking part.”

So, this source claims Joey Essex would never be a housemate as such, but does tease a constant involvement going forward.

What’s happened so far?

Well, as Big Brother launched last night we all sort of waited to see if Joey Essex would be darkening the door. He never did, but then in the after show Late and Live there was a skit the show cut to which showed Joey Essex being toured around the house by Chelsea from Selling Sunset. He recently appeared in that show with her on Netflix earlier this year – so I guess it was just a bit of fun to promote both shows riffing on that? Honestly, it was weird.

If the source is to be believed, I don’t think this is the last we’re going to see of Joey Essex in the Big Brother house this year. Although it remains unclear what capacity he’s going to be back in.

For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.