Ariana Grande gaslighting

Ariana Grande fans are accusing her of ‘gaslighting’ them over Ethan Slater relationship

‘Girl, we can see the timelines’

When Ariana Grande and Ethan Slater went public with their relationship, people were viscerally horrified. Affair allegations exploded, Ethan’s ex-wife Lilly Jay rang every news outlet in America to let the world know Ariana wasn’t a “girl’s girl” and – after an interview finally addressing the drama – Ariana’s fans are now accusing her of gaslighting them.

During a chat on the The Zach Sang Show, Ariana said she had been unfairly targeted by the media in coverage of her relationship with Ethan: “The thing is, we know this about the tabloids and about the media. Am I crazy? Don’t we know this?” she asked. “We selectively remember that this is what the tabloids do to people, especially women, based on whether or not we like the person.

@zachsangshow

@arianagrande on the media and the tabloids – part 2 coming 8th on @Amazon Music #arianagrande #eternalsunshine #yesand #rumors #zachsangshow #zachsang #fyp #foryou

♬ original sound – Zach Sang Show

“[The media leaves space for] their friends and family, but they turn it off when that aligns with the version of a person that they have in their head that they want to believe is true,” she claimed. “We don’t need to go into any specifics, but of course there’s an insatiable frustration, inexplicable hellish feeling, watching people misunderstand the people you love, and you.”

But fans weren’t convinced by Ariana’s analysis of the situation: “Obviously not everything said in the media is true, but girl we can see the timelines,” wrote one person in response, with another adding: “The gaslighting is insane.”

“Her blaming the tabloids for reporting what she did rather than taking accountability is crazy,” a third fan added, while another bluntly put it: “You held this woman’s baby then took her man.”

The comments come after Ariana lost 350,000 Instagram followers thanks to the release of her single Yes, And? where she made light of the affair rumours and asked listeners: “Why do you care so much whose dick I ride?”

Recommended stories by this writer:

• Right, who actually is Ariana Grande’s new boyfriend Ethan Slater?

• It’s all over your feed, so here’s a timeline of events between Ariana Grande and Ethan Slater 

• In defence of Ariana Grande and her ‘boyfriend stealing’ behaviour

Featured image credit via Zach Sang Show