From Edinburgh Uni to Greece: All of the stunning real-life filming locations of One Day

This made me wanna study at Edinburgh so badly

The new adaptation of One Day has just dropped on Netflix and I couldn’t be more excited, if not for the show in general then just to get Anne Hathaway’s terrible Leeds accent from the 2011 film adaptation scoured off my brain.

One Day is an adaptation of the book by David Nicholls and, set from 1988 to 2007, follows Dexter and Emma who meet on their last night of uni. It shows them on the same day, the 15th July, every year for nearly two decades. This means that it’s filmed in loads of different locations across the 20-year time span.

So, here is a look inside all the beautiful filming locations for Netflix’s new show, One Day:

University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh and the University of Edinburgh play a big part in One Day. Emma and Dex first meet at a graduation party on their last day of uni in 1988. The scenes here were filmed in the courtyard of The Old College, a big boujee building at The University of Edinburgh.

After their “sort of one-night stand”, they go back to Emma’s flat which is filmed in Vieworth, Edinburgh, specifically 17 Rankeillor Street. Emma lives here with her housemate Tilly.

At the end of episode one, Dexter chases after Emma to get her phone number and this was also filmed in Edinburgh, on the Vennell Stops just off Grassmarket right near the Castle.

Then at the end of the series, Dexter has a flashback sequence of his relationship with Emma. This was again filmed at The Old College.

Arthur’s Seat, Edinburgh

Also in the first episode set in Edinburgh, Emma and Dex trek up the landmark Arthur’s Seat. Dex says he’s never done it so they do the hike up hungover.

Arthur’s Seat is a big ancient volcano with an amazing view of the city. They also return to Arthur’s Seat in the final episodes of the show and apparently strong winds caused chaos for the actors who had to wear prosthetics making them look 20 years older.

Rome 

Via Netflix

In the second episode, we see Dexter on holiday in Rome where he meets his mum. His parents are staying at the boutique hotel Camp de’ Fiori which is where the show was filmed in real life. They also filmed around Passetto del Biscione which is a square with lots of picturesque streets and alleyways.

Primrose Hill, London

Much of the rest of the series is filmed in and around London. In episode three, Emma meets Dex on Primrose Hill after a bit of a grim shift at Loco Caliente, the restaurant where she works. Primrose Hill has some of the nicest views of London and they have a bottle of wine together.

Old Suffolk Punch, London 

Speaking of Loco Caliente, the restaurant where Emma works, this was actually filmed at the Old Suffolk Punch pub in London. The Old Suffolk Punch is one of the oldest pubs in Hammersmith.

Greece

One Day filming locations

In episode four, Emma and Dex go on holiday to Greece. These scenes are filmed on the island of Symi in Greece and I now have a desperate need to go there immediately.

A Lambeth Club, London 

One Day filming locations

Dexter goes on a massive night out in Brixton and this is set at Fire, a club in Vauxhall, London.

Hatfield House, Hertfordshire

One Day filming locations

In episode 10, Emma and Dex meet again at Tilly’s wedding. This was filmed at Hatfield House, a Grade I-listed country house in Hertfordshire.

Paris

One Day filming locations

In episode 12, Dexter visits Emma who is living in Paris. They wander around the streets of the city and visit a cafe, but no major landmarks can be seen.

Charlton Lido, London 

One Day filming locations

In episode 13, Emma goes swimming. This is filmed at Charlton Lido in Greenwich, on the edge of Hornfair Park.

One Day is available to watch on Netflix now. For more like these One Day filming locations and all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.