Reese Witherspoon confirms Big Little Lies season three is in development

OMG, Reese Witherspoon says Big Little Lies series three is coming

They are getting the band back together!

Reese Witherspoon says Big Little Lies season three is a go!

The 47-year-old actress appeared to all but confirm that a third installment of the HBO series is all about California mothers bound together by a secret. Well, actually, loads of secrets?  

While attending the 2024 Golden Globes with her lookalike son Deacon, Reese told Variety that she and the rest of the gang were “hard at work” on a follow-up, nearly five years since it last aired. 

The show – which is based on a book of the same name by Liane Moriarty – first debuted in 2017 and became a smash hit. This, in large part, must have been down to the absolutely stellar cast of Reese and Laura Dern, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley and Zoe Kravitz. 

Set in the beachy northern California town of Moneterary, it followed six mums with kids in the same first-grade class. The first series explored their friendships, petty carpool dramas and complicated family dynamics. 

Originally, the series, brought to life by Reese’s production company Hello Sunshine, was only supposed to be a mini-series. After its award-winning job at bringing the book to life, audiences were surprised, albeit grateful, to see it return. When it did so, in 2019, none other than Meryl Streep joined to play what can only be described as a passive-aggressive mother-in-law from hell! No spoilers, but it’s true. 

News of a new season was teased by Nicole herself, who was speaking at a fan event attended by the gossip blog Deux Moi, who was singing the show’s praises and how it had revived her career. 

According to their Instagram, the 56-year-old actress said: “And then all of you watched it and made it a massive success, and we will be bringing you a third one, just FYI.”

At the mo, concrete plans are a bit thin on the ground, so there’s a little report on casting, airdate, and so on, so fingers crossed that everyone can reprise their roles. 

In 2019, the president of the network, Casey Bloys, mused that the major problem with new episodes was getting all the talent to sync up their calenders, dubbing the prospect as not “realistic”.