andre braugher tributes

‘He was so full of song’: Brooklyn Nine-Nine cast members pay tributes to Andre Braugher

Terry Crews said: ‘You showed me what a life well lived looks like’

Following the news of Andre Braugher’s death on Monday 11th December, Brooklyn 99 cast members have began sharing tributes to their much-loved co-star online.

Hollywood actors have also paid tribute to Andre, who died after a brief illness earlier this week.

Friends who paid tributes to Andre Braugher include Terry Crews, who was the first to share his tribute, as well as Dirk Blocker, Marc Evan Jackson and Joe Lo Truglio.

Terry Crews

Terry, who played Lieutenant Terry Jeffords in Brooklyn 99 for eight seasons of the show, was one of the first actors who shared tributes to Andre Braugher on Instagram. Describing the eight years they worked together as “glorious”, Terry thanked Andre for the memories they shared, and wrote “I’m honoured to have known you, laughed with you, worked with you and shared eight glorious years watching your irreplaceable talent. This hurts. You left us too soon.

“You taught me so much. I will be forever grateful for the experience of knowing you. Thank you for your wisdom, your advice, your kindness and your friendship. Deepest condolences to your wife and family in this difficult time. You showed me what a life well lived looks like.”

Marc Evan Jackson

Taking to X (formerly known as Twitter) to share his tribute, Marc Evan Jackson who played Andre’s husband, Kevin Cozner, posted a photo of the pair from the set of the show and captioned it “O Captain. My Captain.”

Chelsea Peretti

Bob’s Burgers and Brooklyn 99 star Chelsea Peretti posted on Instagram that she will miss Andre’s “dulcet tones” and described herself as “lucky to have gone on such a journey” with the actor.

She added that she will cherish the conversations they shared, and that she also grieved for what Captain Holt meant to her character on the show, Gina.

“You were so funny to me and the epitome of still waters run deep. I will always cherish our conversations, often with me hanging in your doorway barring your exit, and the insane opportunity to be your sidekick. Is it weird that I am also grieving for what Captain Holt meant to Gina? I really hoped and knew I would see you again. Hate that I won’t”.

Melissa Fumero

via Instagram @melissafumero

Melissa who played Amy re-shared an old grid post of Captain Raymond Holt’s office to her Instagram Story. Originally captioned “Nine Nine forever”, the post shared photos on set of the show of Brooklyn 99.

Joe Lo Truglio

Joe, who played Charles Boyle on the show and who shared many scenes with Andre Braugher, posted an image of him on Instagram with a heartfelt caption, where he shared fond memories of the actor’s singing.

“What you probably don’t know is that Andre could sing too, and did often at lunch, belting bassy vocals from his dressing room to whatever new music he found. At first, it was odd because well…*it was Andre Braugher crooning at full volume from behind closed doors*…but then very quickly it made all the sense in the world because the man was so full of song and that’s why the world took notice”

Signing off the emotional tribute, Joel wrote: “Miss you Capt Holt. Love, Porkchop”.

Joel McKinnon Miller

Joel McKinnon Miller who played Norm Scully on the show shared a shot of Andre preparing for a scene on Instagram. Joel also sent love to Andre’s family, captioning the post “An actor prepares…Sending love to Andre’s family and friends and all of us who had the honour of working with him”.

Dirk Blocker

Dirk Blocker who worked alongside Andre Braugher on Brooklyn 99 added to the star’s tributes. Playing the character Michael Hitchcock, Dirk shared memories with him where he described Andre as “fiercely intelligent, remarkably kind, supportive, generous and possessed a deep and extraordinary talent, and had even more to offer.”

Alongside a photo of Andre as Captain Raymond Holt on the show, the caption continued: “I am devastated. I love him. The nine years I was able to work with him and to just be in his presence was truly a blessing. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family”.

Ryan Case

Director and editor of the sitcom, Ryan Case, spoke of the times she shared with Andre where she was left with her cheeks hurting from laughing with him. She wrote: “Several members of the crew once told me they’d never seen someone smile as much as me when I was discussing Sex and the City at length over a long lunch on an empty set with Andre.”

NBC Entertainment

NBC Entertainment which periodically aired Brooklyn 99 added to tributes online, sharing a Tweet on X, saying it will “miss him tremendously”. It described Andre Braugher as the “actor that others in the profession would always aspire to be” alongside a photo of him on the show, smiling.

Featured image via MediaPunch/Shutterstock