Phil Holly queue

One year on from Queuegate, here’s a full timeline of the downfall of Holly and Phil

It all plummeted after allegations they skipped the queue for the Queen’s coffin

Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield had it all. And by “it all”, I mean the cushty life of a lucrative This Morning presenting domination for over a decade and the Facebook mums eating out of the palms of their hands. The pair were seemingly untouchable in their perch at the top of the telly food chain. Even after they schmoozed with Boris Johnson and took a selfie with him after dragging Corbyn within an inch of his life and a much maligned “SPIN THE WHEEL TO WIN YOUR ENERGY BILLS” fiasco, they didn’t yet fall from grace. Instead, what it took was a dead monarch, an alleged queue skipping, an affair scandal and the feverish puffing of a Lost Mary. One year on from the queue, here’s a timeline of the downfall of Holly and Phil.

The Queue

When the Queen died, she was lying-in-state for five days so mourners could pass by her coffin and pay their respects. The Queue for this became a cultural phenomenon, where people waited days in line to do it and the media reported on all the wholesome bonding that went on between the mourners – where celebs like David Beckham and Susanna Reid joined the non-famous.

Except Holly Willoughby and Phil Schofield, who were papped filing past the coffin without joining The Queue. They then apologised via This Morning, with ITV explaining they were there to film a segment for their show. The general public were less convinced, and the tides significantly turned.

Strained friendship

During spring of 2023, rumours started to circulate about the friendship of Holly and Phil – who for years have been very close best friends. Holly was there for all of Phil’s coming out saga, and the two famously “drunkenly” presented This Morning after their annual win at the NTAs – a run that was broken for the first time in years in 2023.

They presented the show as normal for 20 days, whilst social media dragged their strained friendship. They ignored the front page news that a fallout had happened when they went through the daily roundup of what was going on in the press. It was the definition of awkward.

Phil quits

Unceremoniously and without any proper goodbye episode, Phillip quit This Morning on May 2oth. In a statement, he said: “I have always been proud to cover fascinating stories on This Morning. But recently, This Morning itself has become the story. Throughout my career in TV – including the very difficult last few days – I have always done my best to be honourable and kind.

“I understand that ITV has decided the current situation can’t go on, and I want to do what I can to protect the show that I love. So I have agreed to step down from This Morning with immediate effect, in the hope that the show can move forward to a bright future.”

‘Unwise but not illegal’ affair

After weeks of TikTok saying Phil had an affair with a young runner on This Morning, he then confessed to the affair publicly.

“I did have a consensual on-off relationship with a younger male colleague at This Morning”, he said. “Contrary to speculation, whilst I met the man when he was a teenager and was asked to help him to get into television, it was only after he started to work on the show that it became more than just a friendship. That relationship was unwise, but not illegal. It is now over.”

Holly says Phil lied to her

Holly was pretty quiet on the whole thing before eventually breaking her silence with a statement, which she claims Phil lied to her about.”It has taken time to process yesterday’s news. When reports of this relationship first surfaced, I asked Phil directly if this was true and was told it was not. It’s been very hurtful to now find out that this was a lie.”

The BBC interview and the Lost Mary

On June 6th, Phillip Schofield did a huge interview with the BBC detailing everything that has gone on from his perspective. He went viral for his chain huffing of a Lost Mary disposable vape.

Holly’s return to This Morning

With Josie Gibson by her side, the statement was dragged online. It’s “Firstly, are you ok?” went viral for all the wrong reasons.

Phil and Holly friendship is no more, Phil unfollows Holly

In recent days, This Morning was booed at the NTAs and Phil has unfollowed Holly on social media, as well as deleting pics of the former friends.

One year on from the Holly and Phil queue saga, Phil has confessed he doesn’t think he’ll ever work in TV again and Holly’s once untouchable status has a serious murky stain on it. Latest reports as of last night is that apparently a show is in the works called ‘The Runner’, about the whole affair scandal.

For all the latest celebrity and entertainment news, gossip and memes, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook.