Meet the new cast members joining the ‘euphoric and blissful’ Heartstopper season two

Are you excited? I’m excited

After over a year of waiting, Heartstopper season two is on Netflix and fans can brace themselves to binge watch the series in one-sitting once again.

The second season follows the friend group on a school trip to Paris as they balance their romantic lives and school lives following the ending of season one. The new season is based on the third volume of Alice Oseman’s graphic novels and has introduced X new characters.

So who has joined the season two cast of Netflix’s Heartstopper? Here’s a look at the new characters and where you may recognise them from.

Jack Barton – David Nelson, Nick’s older brother

Heartstopper season two cast

via Netflix

Jack Barton has joined the season two cast of Heartstopper as Nick’s older brother, David Nelson. In Alice Oseman’s graphic novels, David is incredibly biphobic and homophobic towards his younger brother and “takes every opportunity to make Nick’s life miserable”, according to Heartstopper wiki.

Prior to Heartstopper, Jack Barton has appeared in The Letter for the King and will star alongside Emma Stone and Willem Dafoe in Poor Things. He has also starred in War of the Worlds as Hiram and in The Pursuit of Love as Angelic Man.

Thibault de Montalembert – Stéphane Nelson, Nick’s father

Heartstopper season two cast

via Netflix

Stéphane Nelson is portrayed by Thibault de Montalembert in Heartstopper season two. In the graphic novels, Stéphane has divorced Nick’s mother at some point and moved back to France, leaving her to raise Nick and his brother by herself.

Thibault de Montalembert is a French theatre actor and has appeared in a string of French films and TV shows. From 2015 to 2020, Thibault starred in the comedy series Call My Agent! Other films he has starred in include Pister Noire, King and Aurore.

Nima Taleghani – Mr Farouk, the science teacher

Heartstopper season two cast

via Netflix

Mr Farouk is a no-nonsence and strict science teacher at Truham. In the graphic novels, Mr Farouk watches over Charlie after he begins to suffer from mental health problems, seeing a younger version of himself in Charlie.

Youssef Farouk is played by Nima Taleghani in season two of Heartstopper. Nima is an actor an writer and boasts and impressive resume in TV, film and theatre. Nima Taleghani has performed in Macbth, The Merry Wives of Windsor and Romeo and Juliet on stage.

When it comes to TV work, Nima has starred in BBC’s Casualty and Danny Boy.

Bel Priestly – Naomi, Elle’s new friend

via Netflix (Bel Priestly in the middle)

TikTok star Bel Priestly joined the Heartstopper season two cast as Naomi. Naomi is an original character written for the show and does not appear in Alice Oseman’s graphic novels.

“I play a girl called Naomi, and I have a strong friendship with Elle,” Bel revealed during a panel discussion in February. “I think [it will] be really nice for everyone to see two trans girls conquering the world.”

Ash Self – Felix, Elle’s new friend

via Netflix (Ash Self on the left)

Felix is also an original character in Heartstopper, and does not appear in the graphic novels. Felix is portrayed by Ash Self, another one of Elle’s friends in the series.

Talking about the upcoming series, Ash Self said he is “so excited to be bringing some disable rep[resentation] to the Heartstopper universe.

Ash Self is also a stand-up comedian who recently celebrated completing a degree in English with Creative Writing.

He shared photos of his graduation on Instagram in July 2023, including one of him being given his degree by Dawn French.

Bradley Riches – James McEwan, Isaac’s friend

via Netflix

James McEwan is a “sweet yet anxious” character in Heartstopper. His character is played by newcomer Bradley Riches, who had a brief one-liner at the end of season one.

Bradley confirmed his character will be explored more deeply in Heartstopper season two, telling Metro: “It’s really exciting to be part of the Heartstopper universe. James in the comics is only in one scene, so it’s nice to expand the character in ways that I can’t yet say, but whenever I have a character, I always like to bring part of myself to it, as well as escaping my own self.

“I like to find similarities between the character and myself, and that’s what made James.”

While Heartstopper is Bradley’s first TV role, he has had roles in a number of amateur musicals Including Footlose, Monstersongs and Kin The Musical.

Leila Khan – Sahar Zahid, Elle’s friend

via Netflix

Sahar Zahid is a supporting character in Heartstopper and is best friends with Elle, Tara, Nick, Darcy, Charlie and Tao. Sahar is played by Leila Khan in season two and her character is portraye as a music love and highly intelligent in the graphic novels.

Heartstopper is Leila’s first professional acting role and in December 2022 she posted she had finished filming for her “first ever acting job.”

She wrote: “A wrap on my first ever acting job. Mental. Mind officially blown. Will forever be grateful for all the talented people I have had the fortune to meet and work with. I can only hope that some of their wisdom and knowledge has rubbed off on me.

“There are so many cogs in this well oiled machine and everyone works their balls off every single day to create this beautiful show. I am thanking EVERYONE for making my experience perfect. I really want to name them all but we will be here a while.”

Both seasons of Heartstopper are available to watch on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.