Lizzo allegations statement

Lizzo has issued a statement calling the allegations by her former dancers ‘outrageous’

‘I know that I am not the villain that people and the media have portrayed me to be’

Lizzo has released a statement following three of her former dancers filing a lawsuit against her, with allegations they faced sexual harassment and hostile working conditions while working for her.

The dancers claimed they were weight-shamed, pressured to touch naked dancers while in Amsterdam and forced to going through an “excruciating” audition process.

The singer has since responded to the allegations via her Instagram, calling them “unbelievable” and “outrageous”. “These last few days have been gut wrenchingly difficult and overwhelmingly disappointing. My work ethic, morals and respectfulness have been questioned,” she began.

“My character has been criticised. Usually I choose not to respond to false allegations but these are as unbelievable as they sound and too outrageous to not be addressed.”

Lizzo claims the stories have been “sensationalised” and come from former employees who have “publicly admitted that they were told their behaviour on tour was inappropriate and unprofessional”.

She went on to say as an artist she has to “make hard decisions” at times, but it is never her intention “to make anyone feel uncomfortable or like they aren’t valued”.

She continued: “I am not here to be looked at as a victim, but I also know that I am not the villain that people and the media have portrayed me to be these last few days.

“I am very open with my sexuality and expressing myself but I cannot accept or allow people to use that openness to make me out to be something I am not.”

Lizzo said she “knows” what it’s like to be body shamed every day and would “absolutely never criticise or terminate and employee because of their weight”.

“I am hurt but I will not let the good work I’ve done in the world be overshadowed by this,” she concluded the statement before thanking those who have “reached out in support”.