Women’s Aid has already issued a statement about accusations against Love Island’s George

He’s not even stepped foot in the villa and he’s been accused of being homophobic and controlling

Women’s Aid has issued a statement following allegations made about new Love Island 2023 contestant, George Fensom. The new Islander hasn’t even stepped foot in the villa, but already homophobic tweets have resurfaced and an ex-girlfriend has accused him of being a “liar” and a “narcissist”.

Yesterday, a series of old tweets resurfaced that George posted when he was a teenager. In them he used the f-slur, and used “gay” as a negative adjective. This came a day after a previous girlfriend posted a video of pictures of them together, accusing George of being a “liar”, a “cheat” and a “narcissist”.

In the clip, she alleged George “begged” her for money, and he “never split a bill”. She went on to claim George was “controlling” over what she would wear, and would “put down her appearance”. She claimed he “constantly lied and made empty promises”.

@ebskeeley

when your parents raised you well >>> @George Fensom

♬ original sound – musicontoptbh

Speaking to The Daily Star, charity Women’s Aid said it hopes Love Island will “take allegations seriously” about George, as the show has recently upped its duty of care protocols in recent years to include behavioural training in these sorts of issues.

Teresa Parker from Women’s Aid told The Daily Star: “Considering the amount of concern about controlling behaviour that viewers have raised during previous series of Love Island, at Women’s Aid we hope that the producers will be taking these allegations seriously, and looking into them as part of their due diligence before the new series begins.

“We know only too well that abusers can be charming and convincing in public and are able to manipulate others into disbelieving allegations.”

When the video was posted by George’s girlfriend, a source close to him told The Sun her claims are completely untrue, and the public will see his character when he is in the villa. “This is a totally inaccurate representation of who George really is and he is looking forward to viewers getting to know him properly when he is in the villa,” they said.

Speaking from pre-villa lockdown about his tweets resurfacing, George mirrored this, and said he feels “sick” they have become public. “I honestly just feel absolutely sick about those tweets,” he said.

“They are not who I am today, they couldn’t be any further from the man I am today and you quite frankly, if I could turn back time I wouldn’t even have put those. To be honest with you, it’s me being really naive at that age. I made the account back in 2011, so it’s just stupidity on my behalf and doesn’t reflect on who I am today at all.”

Women's Aid issues statement about Love Island 2023 Islander George Fensom

via ITV

He also addressed the video posted by his ex, and said: “I want to be as respectful as I can towards her because I appreciate that she isn’t in the public eye as I am in this scenario. It’s really unfortunate and actually quite upsetting on my behalf that a picture has been painted about me in that light.

“I’m looking forward to moving forward with things and going into the villa and just providing a new wave of energy and to prove that the things that have been written about me aren’t true. People can see a different light to me.”

Women’s Aid added: “We know from speaking with the team at Love Island that they have recently introduced guidance and training around mutually respectful behaviour in relationships for incoming Islanders, and information on controlling and coercive behaviour, and hope this will help inform how this situation is handled.”

“It is vital that contestants are safe in relationships formed on the show and not exposed to potential partners who have previously been abusive in relationships.”

Love Island 2023 kicks off on Monday 5th June at 9pm. For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.