Met Gala invite list

These are the surprising celebrities who’ll never be invited to the Met Gala again

Miss Gwyneth Paltrow?!

Fashion’s biggest night of the year, the Met Gala ball, finally happened last night and (despite the rumours the Kardashian family didn’t make the cut) Kendall, Kylie and Kim Kardashian were all shockingly in attendance. But, there are plenty of other surprising celebrities who don’t appear to have been invited back to the NYC fashion benefit ball.

So, in case you’re wondering which A-listers have snubbed and been snubbed for the 2023 Met Gala, here are all of the famous faces who most probably would have been tackled to the ground by Anna Wintour if they tried to step through the door:

Zayn Malik

One Direction’s Zayn Malik last attended the Met Gala in 2016 and subsequently told GQ he absolutely loathed the entire experience. “The Met Gala is not necessarily anything that I ever knew about or was about,” he said.

But my [former] stylist…would say to me, ‘This is really good for you to do. And no matter how strong you are mentally, you can always be swayed to do certain things. Now, it’s not something I would go to. I’d rather be sitting at my house, doing something productive, than dressing up in really expensive clothes and being photographed on a red carpet.… To do the self-indulgent ‘Look at me, I’m amazing’ thing on the red carpet, it’s not me.”

Lili Reinhart

Lili Reinhart has confessed she doesn’t think she’ll ever be invited to the Met Gala again after she slammed Kim Kardashian’s scarily intensive diet that got her into Marilyn Monroe’s iconic dress last year.

“To openly admit you’re starving yourself for the sake of the Met Gala. When you know very well that millions of young men and women are looking up to you and listening to your every word,” she wrote on Instagram. “The ignorance is other-worldly… Please stop supporting these stupid, harmful celebrities whose entire image revolves around their bodies.”

Donald Trump

Donald Trump used to be a Met Gala regular but in 2017 Anna Wintour told James Corden on The Late Late Show that she’d never ever invite him back again. Anna was a big and vocal Hilary Clinton supporter during her election against Trump with Vogue openly endorsing her as a candidate.

“Obviously we felt it was a moment in history for women. At times like that you need to take a leadership position…. To me, it was in support of women,” she told the Wall Street Journal at the time.

Gwyneth Paltrow

Gwyneth Paltrow made it clear she had no desire to go to the Met Gala ever again after her last appearance in 2013 when the theme was PUNK: Chaos to Couture. “Do you want me to be honest?” she said in an Australian radio interview. “It sucked. It seems like it’s the best thing in the world, you always think, ‘Oh my god, it’s gonna be so glamorous and amazing and you’re going to see all these people’ and then you get there and it’s so hot and it’s so crowded and everyone’s pushing you.”

“I think we’re all a bit old to dress up punk,” she said of the theme. “I just went as kind of normal.”

Demi Lovato

Sober Demi Lovato was nearly driven to drink— that’s how much she hated the Met Gala. “This one celebrity was a complete bitch and was miserable to be around. It was very cliquey. I remember being so uncomfortable that I wanted to drink,” she told Billboard at the time, adding she went straight from the event to an AA meeting.

“I changed my clothes, but I still had my diamonds on—millions of dollars of diamonds on in an AA meeting,” she explained. “And I related more to the homeless people in that meeting who struggled with the same struggles that I deal with than the people at the Met Gala—fake and sucking the fashion industry’s dick.”

Tim Gunn

Tim Gunn started a feud with Anna Wintour in 2016 after he publicly told a story about the Vogue editor that she really didn’t like. “It is a crazy story, and as far as I’m concerned, it’s a very matter-of-fact story,” he said at the time in an interview. “I was asked what is the most unforgettable thing I’ve ever seen in fashion and I said, ‘It’s easy. It was watching Anna Wintour being carried down five flights of stairs by two bodyguards—two big hulking men—from a fashion show.’

“All hell broke loose,” he added. “It was insane. We’ve had an open war ever since.”

Tina Fey

Another person who had a horrible time at the Met Gala is Tina Fey, who told David Letterman in 2015: “I have gone to it once and it is such a jerk parade. Clearly, I’ll never go again, but you go and it’s this beautiful space and it’s just every jerk from every walk of life is there wearing some stupid thing. You walk up these huge steps…and I went and I dragged my husband along with me too, which I’m still in trouble for.”

Amy Schumer

Amy Schumer is another comedian who definitely won’t be leaving the comfort of her own home to appear at the Met Gala on Monday. “It’s people doing an impression of having a conversation,” she said of the event to Howard Stern in 2016. “I don’t like the farce…We’re dressed up like a bunch of fucking assholes. I don’t like it. I have no interest in fashion…I don’t care.”

Seems like the best place to experience the Met Gala is from the safety of your sofa, judging everyone’s ball gowns in your pyjamas.