why is gwyneth paltrow in court

Inside Gwyneth Paltrow’s hectic ski accident trial that has taken over the internet

‘Is this a practical joke, is someone playing a practical joke?’

If you’ve been on TikTok, Twitter, or Instagram over the weekend, you’ll have noticed your timelines are full of one thing: Gwyneth Paltrow court memes. After attending a trial in Park City, Utah over an alleged “ski and run” incident last week, the actress and Goop founder has (once again) gone astronomically viral. But, this time, it has nothing to do with vaginal steaming.

So, in case you’re wondering what the hell is going on and why Gwyneth Paltrow has sworn under oath to tell nothing but the truth about the ski vacation she took seven years ago, here’s everything you need to know about the piste-related drama:

Ok, so, why is Gwyneth Paltrow actually in court?

why is Gwyneth Paltrow in court

Credit: Instagram (@evanrosskatz)

Basically, Gwyneth Paltrow is in court because an optometrist called Terry Sanderson claims that she bashed into him in a “hit-and-run ski crash” while on the slopes of the luxury Deer Valley Resort’s Flagstaff Mountain in Utah. Terry alledges Gwyneth collided with him on a beginner’s piste called the Bandana Run and is seeking $3 million in damages for his injuries.

Gwyneth has countersued Terry for a symbolic $1 and for her legal expenses for the court case to be covered. Terry claims that Gwyneth smacked into him in an “out-of-control” manner, meanwhile, Gwyneth says she remembers the day well and Terry is just filing a “meritless claim” in “an attempt to exploit her celebrity and wealth”.

Terry claims that after the ski accident, he has had “permanent traumatic brain injury, four broken ribs, pain, suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, emotional distress and disfigurement” after Gwyneth allegedly smacked into him. He says she “got up, turned and skied away” while he was “stunned, lying in the snow, seriously injured”.

Credit: Instagram (@gwynethpaltrow)

Meanwhile, when Gwyneth took the stand, she claimed Terry came up behind her and pressed his body into hers until their skis caught an edge and she fell on top of him, landing in a “spooning” position. “I was confused at first, I froze, and I would say I got very upset a couple seconds later,” Gwyneth said. “I didn’t know if it was an intentional assault of a sexual nature, that was a quick thought that went through my head — is this a practical joke, is someone playing a practical joke?”

Initially, Gwyneth said her initial reaction was anger, yelling at Terry: “You skied directly into my fucking back.” Acknowledging Terry’s injuries and his ongoing health concerns, Gwyneth added: “I feel very sorry for him. But I did not cause the accident so I cannot be responsible for any of that.”

And who is the lawyer questioning Gwyneth Paltrow?

Why is gwyneth Paltrow in court

Credit: Law & Crime Trial Network

The unexpected viral star of Gwyneth Paltrow’s court case has been Terry’s lawyer Kristin Vanorman who has been grilling Gwyneth about the alleged ski and run. Except, it’s been less of a grilling and more of a fangirling fandango. She’s asked Gwynyth about her height (5’10), adding she wishes she was that tall, too. She said she supposed Gwynyth’s ski outfit was nicer than anyone else’s on the piste and wanted to know all the deets about her friendship with Taylor Swift.

If we were Terry, we’d be sweating.

Kristin Vanorman is an attorney and partner at Strong and Hanni law firm in Salt Lake City, Utah. She graduated from Reuben J. Clark Law School at Brigham Young University and has been practising law for more than 25 years but so far the proceedings have been a shambles.

“I can’t tell if the lawyer is purposefully softening GP up to catch her out or if she’s just trying her hardest to get this on Netflix with a starring role played by Beanie Feldstein,” wrote one person on Instagram, while another added: “She might as well just ask her to settle.”