MH370 Mr B

Who is Mr B? The mysterious spy who claims ‘Americans know’ where missing MH370 plane is

He features twice in the new Netflix documentary

After Netflix released the documentary MH370: The Plane That Disappeared about the Malaysia Airlines Flight that vanished in 2014 with 239 people on board this month, everyone has been trying to uncover the identity of a mysterious spy mentioned multiple times throughout the series, who goes by the codename Mr B.

Mr B is first mentioned by the Frenchman, Ghyslain Wattrelos, whose wife Laurence and children Hadrien and Ambre went missing on the MH370 flight. Ghyslain claims that the spy told him “the Americans know full well what happened” to the missing plane. So, in case you’re wondering who Mr B is and whether he’s a credible source, here’s everything we know about Ghyslain’s informant:

Ok, so who actually is Mr B?

Mr B MH370

Mr B is a man who works in the intelligence community who approached Ghyslain during the first year of the MH370 investigation to share information. In the Netflix documentary, Ghyslain explains: “Someone I knew told me, ‘Mr B would like to meet you. This person has information. He’s someone who is very connected, connected to the secret services'”.

Ghyslain explains he met Mr B in a car park in France to discuss flight MH370: “The first thing he told me was, ‘the Americans know full well what happened, because there were two American AWACS that were monitoring the area at the time the plane disappeared,'” he said. “These AWACS are Boeing planes with a huge radar like a mushroom on top. And this radar basically monitors everything underneath the Boeing.

“It’s like a small satellite above the earth that sees everything that’s happening in a 600km radius. Mr B said these two planes must have perfectly tracked the MH370, regardless of its state at any moment,” he added. “They know where it crashed. They know where it is. Why believe the official story when they’re withholding essential pieces of evidence?”

Is Mr B actually a credible source?

MH370 cargo theory

Although the identity of Mr B is still very much unknown to the general public, French journalist Florence de Changy claims she fact checked Ghyslain’s meeting with the secret service connection using her own inside sources. 

Additionally, Mr B’s claims about the two American AWACS knowing where the missing plane is substantiate Florence’s cargo theory, which similarly claims the United States Air Force were aware of what happened at the time of MH370’s disappearance.

Florence theorises the MH370 pilot Zaharie Ahmad Shah was ordered by the US to land the plane at the nearest airbase on the night it vanished because they were trying to stop confidential electronics being taken by the Chinese in Beijing.

But when Zaharie refused, and stuck on his course, the flight was shot out of the sky over the South China Sea, where some debris has been found. This is just one of many theories circling round about the disappearance.

“The shooting down could have been a blunder,” she writes. “But it could have also been a last resort to stop the plane and its special cargo from falling into Chinese hands.”

MH370: The Plane That Disappeared is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.