Nottingham attacker who killed three won’t face murder trial as court accepts manslaughter plea

Valdo Calocane pleaded guilty to three counts of manslaughter on the basis of diminished responsibility

The Nottingham killer who killed three people, including two University of Nottingham students, will not face a murder trial as Nottingham Crown Court has accepted his manslaughter plea.

Valdo Calocane has appeared in court after previously pleading not guilty to murdering Barnaby Webber, Grace O’Malley-Kumar and Ian Coates but guilty to their manslaughter on the basis of diminished responsibility.

He also pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of Sharon Miller, Marcin Gawronski and Wayne Birkett.

Mr Khalil told the court: “We considered carefully representations that were made in the course of those consultations; we also considered the particular gravity and complexity of this case, including the grossly aggravating factors of the multiplicity of fatal and intended fatal offending, including the defendant’s acceptance that he intended to kill all his victims.

“In these circumstances, the Crown concluded that it was appropriate to accept the pleas to manslaughter on the basis of diminished responsibility.”

University of Nottingham, first year students Grace O’Malley-Kumar and Barnaby Webber both 19 years old, were fatally stabbed in the early hours of the morning on June 13th 2023 on Ilkeston Road.

Police then found the body of 65-year-old school caretaker Ian Coates on Magdala Road after his van was allegedly stolen.

Featured Image via Nottingham Police 

Families of Grace and Barney vow to get justice after man pleads not guilty to murder 

Man admits killing three people including students Grace and Barney in Nottingham attacks

Barnaby Webber’s family and friends celebrated his 20th birthday at ‘Barney’s Bar’