Here’s what your favourite Christmas song says about you as a Notts student

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas

It’s December and that can mean only one thing – the Christmas holidays are round the corner and so is Christmas! There’s so much excitement and anticipation in the air – opening your advent calendar, secret Santas and the mad panic to buy everyone gifts on your student budget. There is only one thing that can help and that is Christmas music.

As I sit here writing this in the Dearing building, I’m surrounded by Christmas trees, fairy lights and tinsel and I can’t help but whack on “Christmas Hits” on Spotify and get in the festive spirit. While I’ve been listening to the sweet sounds of Mariah Carey and Wham since the middle of October, it is simply just not an option at this point. So I think that makes me pretty qualified to tell you what your favourite Crimbo song says about you all.

All I Want for Christmas Is You – Mariah Carey

This one’s a little boring but that doesn’t make it any less of a classic. Sometimes you just need to stick to what you know and there is no doubt that when this comes over the speakers when you’re Xmas shopping in the Victoria Centre, everyone will be humming along. You’re a basic girlie with your Ugg boots and pictures of the deer in the snow in Wollaton Park but hey, we love you for it.

Last Christmas – Wham!

Who hurt you? The only reason this is anyone’s favourite is if they’ve had a festive meltdown over their lost love. Sadly for us all, December does not mean a stop to heartbreak. Get yourself a hot chocolate with Baileys, maybe even from Winter Wonderlands and sing your heart out.

Mistletoe – Justin Bieber

The majority of us studying here in Nottingham will be 2000’s babies and this man was everywhere in our pre-teen years. If this is your favourite Christmas song then you’re probably a hardcore Belieber and this has been your fave since it was released. If it was up to you, you’d go back to being 12 and making loom band bracelets in your groovy chick bedroom. I don’t blame you though – this is an modern classic

Underneath the Tree – Kelly Clarkson

This song is immaculate and it definitely falls in my top three. It screams Christmas. Jingle bells and Christmas spirit – what more could you need? If this is your number one, then you are the definition of happiness. You’ve always got a smile on your face even in the midst of deadline season. You’re always the one giving your friends a much needed pep talk and making people feel better. You’re the best – keep being you!

Do They Know It’s Christmas? – Band Aid

There’s nothing like charity at Christmas and this song is the definition of the Christmas spirit. If this is your favourite, then I’m sure you’re vegan and do a really philanthropic degree using your walks to Uni Park to consider what social change you can inspire next. You want to change the world one reusable coffee cup at a time and I have no doubt that you will. People like you keep the world turning.

Anything Michael Bublé

It’s Christmas time so it’s time for Michael to defrost. When he’s not spending his time making Crimbo adverts in Asda warehouses, Bublé is renowned for his silky smooth voice. If he sings your favourite Christmas song, then you can appreciate the finer things in life and I’m sure there’s no such thing as a struggle meal in your house. You probably shop at M&S and have a Malbec or Pinot Grigio with your dinner every night.

Stay Another Day – East 17

Many are on the fence about whether this is a Christmas song at all but the iconic video of the band in snowsuits means that I declare it is. This is a quirky choice if it’s your fave though. The ballad would suggest that you’re in a hardcore zombie phase – hoods up in George Green and staring blankly at a set of lecture notes. Stay strong soldier – Christmas is near.

She’s the Brightest Star – Nativity!

“One time! Two time! Come on!”. Never were there truer words spoken and never was there a better Christmas film made. If this or any other Nativity! song is your fave in the festive period, I salute you and your immaculate taste. You’re the definition of a fun time and I can guarantee you’re the one leading the charge down Derby Road to the end of term Crisis all nighter. Keep being the brightest star anyone’s ever seen.

Cover image via YouTube, YouTube, and YouTube

Related articles recommended by this author

A comprehensive list of all the best places in Nottingham for a first date

10 Top tips to avoid burnout as a Notts student

Six ways you can achieve a balanced life as a Notts student