Woman denies causing death of Nottingham Trent University student by dangerous driving

Hope Starsmore was involved in a crash when driving to the university from her home in Skegness

A woman has denied causing the death of a first-year Nottingham Trent University student by dangerous driving.

Hope Starsmore was making only her second ever trip to the university when her Toyota Yaris was involved in a collision with a Ford Focus on 7th October 2020.

Rebecca Porter, 34, of Cottesmore Close, Skegness, was present at Lincoln Crown Court for a pre-trial hearing on Monday 13th March where she denied causing death by dangerous driving, the Lincolnite reports.

Hope had aspirations of becoming a paramedic and had just started a course in medical science at Nottingham Trent. Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, she had decided to live at home in Skegness and commute to Nottingham once a week.

Hope was airlifted to Hull Royal Infirmary after the crash and placed in a medically-induced coma where she then died eight days later.

Hope’s brother, Hayden, and her partner Ady Spencer, were also in the car and were badly hurt in the collision which occurred on the A158 at Burgh le Marsh in Lincolnshire.

Porter spoke only to confirm her name and was represented by defence barrister Leanne Summers. She was granted unconditional bail by Judge Simon Hirst with the trial scheduled to take place at Lincoln Crown Court on 17th April.

Featured image via Lincolnshire Police. 

Nottingham Trent University student allegedly raped girl he met on Tinder

University of Nottingham student says she was ‘given no support’ after being spiked

• Nottingham students receive £3,000 rent refund from their ‘coercive and abusive’ landlord