Former Trent student who tried to stab NTU staff member deemed unfit to face trial

The former student was previously charged with attempted murder after the incident that took place on university grounds last year

The man involved in a stabbing at Nottingham Trent University has been deemed unfit to stand trial.

Ryan Usher was charged with attempted murder after events that occurred on January 31, 2022.

Usher, 48, was later diagnosed with a psychological disorder, which meant he was unable to stand trial. He has been given a hospital order, and was told by Judge Stuart Rafferty KC that he would remain at a secure hospital. Nottinghamshire Live reported that the ex-Nottingham Trent student suffered from persistent delusional disorder.

Judge Rafferty went on to say at Nottingham Crown Court that without this diagnosis, he would have been found guilty of “appalling acts” and would face “very many years in prison”, reports the BBC.

The Judge said that Usher’s mental health problems meant that he had a skewed approach to life, and remained liable to continue committing similar acts if he was a member of society.

Usher was further charged with stalking involving serious alarm/distress, assault by beating and possession of an offensive weapon.

Speaking to Nottinghamshire Live, a spokesperson from Nottingham Trent University said: “Our primary concern throughout this incident has been the welfare of our colleague who was the victim of an isolated and unprovoked attack. This was an extremely traumatic incident for him to go through, which also had an impact on his family.

“We have provided him with extensive support throughout this past year and continue to do so, and are supporting all those other colleagues who have been personally affected. We are grateful to our colleagues who reacted quickly and bravely to the situation, and were able to intervene until police arrived.”