Here’s what your favourite club song says about you as a Newcastle student

If American boy is basic then so am I

We all have that one song. The song that makes us stop in our tracks and throw the most horrific shapes imaginable.

Whether it’s Cotton Eye Joe or Come On Eileen, it probably says a lot about you as a person. More specifically, the type of Newcastle student you are. For me, it’s Murder on the Dancefloor. What does this tell us exactly? That I always pay full price for a metro ticket and never let loose until I know everything in the house has been locked and turned off. It’s a sad little life, I agree. Anyway, moving swiftly on, let’s see what your favourite club song says about you as a Newcastle student:

Dancing Queen – ABBA

You’re almost definitely from the south. You were also probably in Leazes during first year and now tend to spend your money, money, money in Oops on a Monday.

Mr Brightside – The Killers

You need a time out.

I can picture the kind of person you are. You live off meal deals and cans of Monster. You also have more energy than a Duracell Bunny and are always the last to leave an afters. Everybody knows it’s the closing song. In other words, please get out of my flat you complete stranger.

I Gotta Feeling – Black Eyed Peas

You just want to feel something again. You’ve got too many assignments on your plate and need a boost of nostalgia to keep you afloat. Will Fergie solve all your problems? No. Will she in the moment though? Absolutely.

Party in the USA – Miley Cyrus

You can have the aux any day of the week. Having said that, you’re the type of student who always skips the Shaker queue and never takes no for an answer. There’s no in-between.

Come on Eileen – Dexys Midnight Runners

You weren’t hugged enough as a child (a bit harsh considering it is a banger), but even still. I can’t explain it, I just feel like you study urban planning?? Anyway, catch you on the Soho pole next week.

Gold Digger – Kanye West

You’re predictable but also wise beyond your years. You never turn up to lectures but somehow always scrape a pass. You’re one of those people.

22 – Taylor Swift

I would trust you with my life and my takeaway.

Take Me Home, Country Roads – John Denver

You’re an athlete whose most used app asides from Tinder is BUCS Play. You only ever use this song as an excuse to whip off your sweaty shirt and swing it around Flares on a Wednesday. Oh, you’ve also probably used the lyrics as a pickup line before (we’ve all seen that Stage One TikTok).

Anything Sean Paul

You’re the life and soul of the party.

Is reciting Temperature word for word your only talent? Yes, but that’s okay! Newcastle wouldn’t be the same without you.

Baby – Justin Bieber

You’ve probably had your heart broken too many times on a Wednesday night and now resort to cry therapy. You also probably submit a PEC at every chance you get.

Murder on the Dancefloor – Sophie Ellis-Bextor

You’re both lead tenant and mum of the group. You’re organised, reliable and never calm down until this masterpiece comes on in the club.

Bonkers – Dizzee Rascal

You terrify me and I would never trust you with the house keys. What’s more, I can guarantee you changed courses. Chances of you also enjoying cold showers? Very high.

Kickstarts – Example

You DJ in your spare time and attended Boardmasters before it got “big”.

American Boy – Estelle, Kanye West

You’re a night owl who needs to be tamed. You probably say yes to everything; Shaker, Swingers, and of course – £2 Tuesday. On top of this, you never fail to miss a lecture. You aNiMaL.

Payphone – Maroon 5

I don’t have one bad thing to say about you. I just know you meal prep, turn up to lectures five minutes early, and always FaceTime your mum to check in. You’re the blueprint we all aspire to be.

Starships- Nicki Minaj

Newcastle was your first choice uni. You could not make it any clearer.

She’s So Lovely – Scouting For Girls

You’re a hopeless romantic who hides away in the Robbo too much to find love.