Manchester students left without water for six days

Students have been advised they can shower at a gym one mile away

Some students at Sanctuary Students’ Denmark Road accommodation – beside Whitworth Park and Oxford Road – have been left without water for six days.

It has led to residents being forced to use the toilets in the reception, as well as being told they can use the showers at Sugden Sports Centre – next to the University of Manchester’s engineering building.

This is a distance of a mile, and around a twenty minute walk – quite the trek to have a wash.

The problem is understood to have occurred on the September 22nd. The water supply issues have varied between different floors, with some being less affected than others.

A spokesperson for the accommodation said  the situation was “unavoidable” and “students can collect bottled water from the reception.”

It further commented that it was “sorry for any inconvenience” and it had supplied alternative accommodation for those “most affected”. It also offered compensation and reimbursement to those who have suffered out-of-pocket expenses.

“We are sorry for the inconvenience this unavoidable issue has caused and as the water pressure and supply varies on different floors in the building, we have offered alternative accommodation to those students most affected.

“We will also ensure our staff at the scheme continue to offer additional support and assistance to all the other residents until the required work is completed.”

A spokesperson for the University of Manchester said 30 of its students had been affected, whilst Man Met confirmed none of their students reside there. UoM also said they had offered food vouchers to affected students.

Students have said they have not been told when the issue will be fixed.

Featured image via Google Maps

Related stories recommended by the writer: