Uni of Liverpool student dies in van crash on first day of term

18-year-old Juan Lima was described as ‘a citizen of the world’

A student at the University of Liverpool was been killed on his first day of university after being hit by a van.

18-year-old Juan Lima was killed on 18th September after a collision, Mersyside Police reports.

The incident occurred at Hatton Garden near the Dale Street junction at around 3.45pm. Despite paramedic treatment, Juan died at the scene. He was due to study urban planning at the university.

Detective Sergeant Kurt Timpson, Lead Investigating Officer for the MATRIX Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: “I have met with [Juan’s] mother and father following their arrival in the UK from Mexico and they continue to be supported by specially-trained police officers.

“They are grateful for the help of the local community, here in Liverpool, those who helped at the roadside and for the work of the emergency services.”

In an emotional tribute, his relatives said: “Juan was born in Cuba, but also had Mexican and American nationality. He felt like a citizen of the world. Furthermore, he loved the UK. He will be sadly missed by all his family.

“He was only 18 years old and it was his first day at the University of Liverpool, where he was about to study urban planning.”

There is an ongoing investigation and the van driver has assisted police with their enquiries, according to Merseyside Police. They are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.

Recommended stories recommended by this writer:

University of Liverpool moves up four places in The Times Good University Guide

University of Liverpool strike dates confirmed for the first week of term

Liverpool student who received donation from Jack Grealish for treatment dies of leukaemia

Featured image via Google Maps and Merseyside Police.