Glasgow student admitted to making homophobic comments outside AXM Nightclub

The UWS criminal justice student aimed the hateful remarks towards two members of door staff

A student of The University of The West of Scotland has admitted to a homophobic outburst outside a nightclub in Glasgow.

21-year-old criminal justice student, Tyler Clelland, made the comments outside AXM Nightclub in Glasgow’s Merchant City on the 15th of March 2024.

Glasgow Times reported that the University of the West of Scotland student was attempting to enter the club to retrieve a friend’s phone when he was refused entry.  He is then alleged to have shouted “f****t” and “p**f” before he was restrained by security.

Clelland, from Castlemilk, was only arrested later on when bouncers pointed him out to the police while he was in a taxi.

He pleaded guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to behaving in an abusive and threatening manner fuelled by hateful prejudice regarding people’s sexual orientation.

The court was informed that Clelland approached two members of the door staff while extremely intoxicated at 10pm, with prosecutor, Jennifer Sillars, explaining: “Clelland was looking for friends who were inside but was refused entry. Despite being informed of this, he tried to gain entry and was told to move away from the premises. Clelland is then said to have become aggressive, getting in the face of a door steward and telling him to fuck off”.

It was following this while Clelland was walking away he is said to have made the homophobic remarks.  He was then pointed out to the police for his unsavoury comments at 1:40am.

Thomas Ferguson, defending Clelland, told the court that “He knows the language used was deplorable and he is remorseful.”

Clelland was told by Sheriff Simone Sweeney that the offence was “out of character” and admonished him.

Featured image via Google Maps

Related stories recommended by this writer