Third HIVE night a week announced by GUU in exciting new plans

God help my bank account

Glasgow University Union (GUU)’s club HIVE is set to be open three nights a week, having started on Wednesday 20th September, following the closure of a nearby nightclub.

Dumbarton Road’s Sanctuary nightclub was a well known place to be in the West End, especially for students and especially on a Wednesday due to sports socials.

Having been situated just across from the University of Glasgow, many students had entered their doors, but they’re not going to be heading through those doors again any time soon.

Following 10 years in the heart of the West End, the nightclub officially announced their closure via their Instagram: “After 10 years, it’s time to say goodbye. Thanks for all the memories. Lots of love, Sanctuary.”

What does this mean for other bars, pubs and clubs nearby?

As Sanctuary was the home for GU sport’s Wednesday night socials, the location for the post match booze-ups will have to change. Following a recent instagram post from Glasgow University Union (GUU), it would appear that HIVE is set to be open on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays over the course of the next year.

GUU captioned its pinned post with: “GUU Sports Wednesdays begin. With it being our first Sports Wednesday of term time, we are giving you a taster of what we have to offer you over the year. We also have special deals and offers for our new club night. It’s gonna be unmissable.”

Some UofG students had a say about this additional HIVE opening: “I mean, I feel like it was pretty crap last year but I went during Freshers’ Week [last week] and I must say I really enjoyed it.”

Another commented: “Yeah, I’m happy to see it open more, it’s a really safe place that is practical for me so I guess if it does cheap booze, beer bar pres and a club area then it ticks the boxes.”

Will you be a “West End Wanker” and be seen out in the West End THREE TIMES a week at GUU?