UofG releases video game amplifying Minoritised Ethnic voices

The new video game ‘SEvEN’ contributes to efforts to reduce racial inequality in Scotland

On the 19th of May 2023, a project at the University of Glasgow released an innovative video game that harnesses the power of voices from marginalized ethnic communities to narrate the story of a sustainable Scotland.

Named ‘SEvEN – Seven Voices, One Future’, this groundbreaking game was collaboratively developed by a research team led by Dr. Mark Wong, a Senior Lecturer in Public Policy & Research Methods at the university.

The project involved partnerships with Education Evolved, a tech start-up based in Glasgow, the Ethnic Minority Environmental Network, the digital designer The Floating Designer, and Glasgow’s Games and Gaming Lab.

Set in the Western Scottish Highlands in the year 2045, SEvEN immerses players in the experiences of seven individuals from marginalized ethnic backgrounds. Through interacting with their narratives and engaging in mini-games, players gain insight into real-life climate actions led by ethnic minority organizations and initiatives across Scotland.

Speaking to The Tab Glasgow about ‘SEvEN’, Dr Mark Wong said: “Amplifying the often-overlooked voices of marginalized ethnic individuals has always been a crucial aspect of my work, as is challenging Scotland’s approach to sustainability and just transition. SEvEN brings together these two aims, inviting people to contemplate the true meaning of a sustainable future and for whom it is intended. Through an interactive video game, we have created an immersive and thought-provoking narrative of the future, centred around the voices and actions of minoritised ethnic individuals.

“We hope that SEvEN will facilitate people’s understanding of the importance of Traditional Ecological Knowledge while fostering creative thinking about collaborative approaches that can make Scotland—and ultimately, our planet—more sustainable as we confront mounting climate concerns.”

Game screen of SEvEN Credit: Education Evolved

Sanjana Eswar, a postgraduate student of Indian origin, is studying International Management and Design Innovation at the University of Glasgow. She likes the idea of this game involving ethnic minorities.

“The game introduced me to facts I didn’t know about, and it was done in a simple and easy-to-understand method. Having to do tasks and involving myself led to me feeling like I had personal stakes in it, which made it more immersive.”

The URTUC Report 2021 shows that half of the surveyed ethnic minority students experienced racial harassment 2-5 times, and 1 in 20 of those students experienced more than 20 incidents. However, with the implementation of the URTUC Action Plan, the schooling experience of ethnic minorities has improved.

Kritika Jain, who finished her Master’s in International Corporate Finance and Banking last year, thinks UofG is very supportive, inclusive and diverse.

“I got to know so many people from all over the world while at the business school which consisted of more than 60% of students who are from minority ethnic (ME) backgrounds.” She recalled. “Because even in my course alone 25 of us were Asian. Out of a class of 25!”

According to the latest developments shown on the official website, the URTUC Action Plan has seen impressive results and progress in 2023, including “decolonising the curriculum”, the launch of a racial equality/Anti-racism campaign on campus, 38 new volunteer Respect Advisers and so on.

Credit: University of Glasgow

To access SEvEN, embark on this thought-provoking journey, and contribute to the ongoing efforts in tackling racism and building a more sustainable future, simply visit its website and follow the instructions for accessing the game.

Related stories recommended by this author: