19 things you’ll only relate to if you were a Covid fresher at Exeter
Anyone else remember the acrobatics performed off Lafrowda balconies?
Whilst for most of us the tumultuous times of Covid and all the weird troubles it brought with it are distant memories of the past, for final year students memories of online lectures and groups of six still linger in the back of their minds. The last three years have gone by so fast, it’s easy to forget quite how odd the first year of our uni was. If you can relate to these 19 things, I’m so sorry for your plagued uni experience:
1. Booking a time slot to move into halls
God forbid you got within 10 metres of the people you were going to be living with for the next year.
2. Only being allowed to move in with one person
Which was widely ignored.
3. Getting masks and a thermometer instead of a Freshers’ Fair
And the masks were all in Exeter colours, duh.
4. Estate Patrol circling Lafrowda like piranhas
Genuinely stopping people off doing their midnight washing where they were off to and with how many people.
5. The Lafrowda moshpits
DIY TP smoking area.
6. People hiding under beds, cupboards, bathrooms to escape Estate Patrol searches
And having to go and get your ID sometimes to prove you really did live in that flat.
7. Only ever playing drinking games in kitchens
Never have I ever wanted to play Psych less in my life.
8. Wearing masks to get parcels and do washing
From the Freshers’ welcome pack no less.
9. Police on Exmouth beach patrolling trying to break people up into groups of 30
Like teachers on a school trip.
10. Literally everyone being in isolation before Reading Week
Pretty sure we all had Covid in the same week.
11. Booking into pubs and clubs
Or queuing for at least half an hour to get into Spoons.
12. Going into clubs and sitting down at tables
Genuinely thought Unit 1 always had those trestle tables inside for over a year.
13. And not being allowed to stand up under any circumstance
The bouncers were on the look out for anyone upright.
14. Not going to campus, like, ever
Couldn’t you what or where Queens was.
15. Breakout rooms
16. That time someone jumped off a Lafrowda balcony
17. Students getting fined
Really hope they got a refund…
18. Awkward blind friend dates with people from online seminars
Good training for the horrors of online dating tbf.
19. Going into isolation with people you had known for about a week
Intense bonding if ever I’ve seen it.