Two police cars parked in a street

Riot breaks out in Cardiff after two teenage boys die in car crash last night

Cars were set alight and several police officers were also injured

A riot broke out in Ely, Cardiff after two teenagers were killed in a car crash last night.

The two teenage boys died when they had a collision whilst riding an off-road bike, according to South Wales Police.

A riot then ensued, with around 100 to 150 present, with cars being set alight and fireworks released; however, police are still attempting to work out why the collision caused the uprising.

South Wales Police were called to the crash on Snowden Road at 6pm last night and announced at 8pm that officers were dealing with the collision but also trying to settle the disorder that has arisen.

This morning at approximately 1am, the police said vehicles had been set alight and that a number of people had been arrested, the BBC reports.

Two police cars were damaged during the riot along with two parked vehicles that were set alight. One member of the public was assaulted by rioters as others believed they were an undercover police officer, the BBC reports.

South Wales Police released a statement about last night’s events, saying: “South Wales Police is investigating a serious road traffic collision and scenes of violent disorder which happened in the Ely area of Cardiff last night (Monday, May 22).

“Shortly after 6pm yesterday we received a report of a serious road traffic collision on Snowden Road which resulted in the deaths of two teenage boys.

“Police responded to this collision which had already occurred when officers arrived, and they remained on scene to manage a large-scale disorder until the early hours of this morning.

“Specially-trained public order officers were also deployed, including officers from neighbouring police forces. Several vehicles were set alight, property was damaged and police officers were injured during the incident.”

Assistant Chief Constable, Mark Travis, also added: “First and foremost our thoughts are with families of the two boys who have died following the collision in Ely and with those affected by the disorder which followed.

“These are scenes we do not expect to see in our communities, particularly a close-knit community such as Ely. We received a large number of calls from residents who were understandably frightened by the actions of this large group who were intent on causing crime and disorder.

“The level of violence towards emergency services and the damage to property and vehicles was totally unacceptable. Our focus now is to fully investigate the circumstances of the collision and the appalling scenes that followed.

“Arrests have already been made in connection with the disorder and more will follow. We shall be maintaining an enhanced police presence throughout the week and into the weekend.

“We would like to thank the public for their support and appeal to anyone with information or video footage to come forward and provide that to us.”

The police has not yet released information on how the boys’ deaths and the riots are connected and ask that anyone with information call 101 quoting 2200166555.

Stock featured image from The Tab’s archive.