Six ways to combat seasonal depression this Lent

Crying in the library? We’ve got you sorted

January is over and the excitement of refreshers is no more than a distant memory. You’re ready to go home, but the problem is it’s only Week 3! If this is you, don’t worry; follow this comprehensive guide and seasonal depression won’t come anywhere near you.

Take a trip to Jack’s Gelato

This is an obvious one, but it needs to be stressed. Give @gelatojack a follow on Instagram and let the thrill of checking their flavours each day power you through Lent Term.

Image credits: Esther Knowles

Study with friends in Waterstones Cafe

Beating the blues doesn’t have to come at the expense of your degree. Why spend your nights crying in the library when you could spend your days studying with friends in town? Waterstones Cafe has everything a library does, but with the added perks of coffee and conversation.

Check out Sushimania’s half-price lunch deal

Head down Christ’s Lane for the best value sushi in Cambridge. Sushimania have extended their January half-price lunch deal for another two months, so make sure you don’t miss out on getting 18 pieces of sushi for £9 like I did.

Image credits: Iris Tromans

Games night

On a budget, or is it just too cold to leave college? You can have fun from the comfort of your own room by hosting a games night. If you don’t own any board games, you could play ‘Who Am I?’ with just post-it notes and a pen.

Join a non-academic society

Yes, Cambridge students can have non-academic interests too! My personal recommendation would be Cambridge University Taylor Swift Appreciation Society (CUTSAS), which hosts regular club nights and welfare events, but if you don’t like Taylor Swift (oh, the horror) there are still loads of fun societies out there for you.

Image credits: Esther Knowles

Group trip to Aldi

If you’re not at a hill college, walking anywhere further than Mainsbury’s for your shopping is virtually unheard of. That said, taking a walk with friends, with the extra incentive of saving money, might just improve your day.

Image credits: Yufan Tan

Follow these ideas, and Lent will be your favourite term in no time (just joking, but it won’t be nearly as bad). Look back on this article any time you’re feeling the blues this term.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, Calm (Campaign against living miserably) on 0800 58 58 58, and Student Minds online here. You matter.

Featured image credits: Robin Stephens