Here are the top five things to do in Bristol this bonfire night

So, you survived Halloweekend … can you hack Bonfire Night?

Remember, remember the fifth of November. Gunpowder, treason, and plot. If you’ve ever wanted an excuse to get smashed whilst celebrating a failed assassination attempt (niche, I know), then today is your day. Queue fireworks, roasted chestnuts, and absolutely freezing your tits off standing over a smouldering pile of wood, mmmm delightful.

If you’re desperate to set something on fire and watch some pretty lights, here are the best places to do so in Bristol.

Canford Park Firework Fiesta

Either a short drive or a 10 minute bus from the Triangle to Westbury Village, Canford Park’s Firework Fiesta is the most popular bonfire night event in town. Food and drinks stalls, glow sticks galore, a huge bonfire and a firework display – what’s not to love? However, you do need to buy tickets in advance, and this event is on Saturday 4th, not Sunday 5th, so why not make a whole weekend of the festivities?

The display will start at 7pm and gates open at 5:30pm.

Avon Valley Adventure and Wildlife Park Fireworks to Music

That’s a bit of a mouthful but don’t let that deter you. If you’re one of the lucky ones with access to a car, this could be the event for you. The park are teaming up with Aardvark FX, a world-class pyrotechnics company, so the thirty minute drive would pay off for a night to remember. This is a ticketed event so make sure to purchase those in advance to avoid any disappointment.

The display is happening on both the 4th and 5th November from 5pm to 9pm at Pixash Lane, Keysham, BS31 1TP. Fireworks will be on at approximately 7pm.

Clifton Observatory

If you want the best view of Bristol’s skyline, the Clifton Observatory is the place to go. A five minute walk from the suspension bridge, the rooftop terrace will be open until late if you want to pay £20 for the ticketed event on Saturday 4th which includes a fire performer and a live DJ set. However, a more budget friendly option is to just turn up to the hill with your own snacks, beveraginos, and a blanket to spot the fireworks all over Bristol and beyond.

Brandon Hill

Brandon Hill, while there isn’t an official firework display, is one of the most popular spots for watching the fireworks over the city centre and the Clifton/Redland area. Beware – you’ll probably bump into someone you met at Freshers’. It’s in a convenient location and you can even grab some cheesy chips from Jason on your way home.

Open mic night at The Bristol Fringe

This is a slightly rogue one, but if fireworks, bonfires and standing outdoors in the freezing cold isn’t really your thing, you could always head to The Bristol Fringe for their open mic night. Whether you want to try your hand at some spoken word poetry or just sit back and enjoy the performances that will inevitably be bonfire night themed, you’d be welcome at the monthly event on Sunday 5th November, starting at 8pm. Make sure to arrive half an hour early if you want to perform so you can sign up.