Exclusive: Number of UoB students waiting more than 21 days for regular counselling has doubled in five years

Nearly 100 UoB students have been waiting for counselling sessions in TB 1

Hide Images

The number of UoB students waiting over working 21 days for regular 1:1 counselling has more than doubled in the past five years, The Bristol Tab can reveal.

Meanwhile, the number of students receiving regular support within five days is the lowest it has been in the same period, figures obtained through a Freedom of Information request show.

Overall, the waiting list for regular counselling sessions in TB 1 one sits at almost 100 students.

An FOI from the University of Bristol has revealed that 92 people from the university are waiting in the queue for regular counselling sessions as of the 30th October, and an additional 69 clients were awaiting an initial consultation.

The FOI showed how the number of students that have had to wait for more than 21 days to receive regular support has more than doubled, from 414 students in the academic year 2012/13, to 985 students in the year 2017/18.

The FOI revealed that nearly 100 clients were awaiting regular counselling services at the end of October

This is despite the fact that the counselling service budget actually increased drastically in the same period, from £426,370 in 2012, to £961,000 in 2018.

So far, the university has committed to invest £1m annually in mental health services, and has created an SU Living Room in Senate House and a green area in the ASS library. This stands in contrast to the university’s investment in the new Temple Quarter campus, which is set to be in the region of £300m.

The university has been challenged recently by students, who suggest that more money should be spent on mental health. The ‘People not Profit’ march for mental health awareness highlighted the inadequacies of the student counselling service, calling for more provision to be made to support the growing number of students who are taking action and seeking help.

If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health, you can reach out for help. A list of services available to Bristol students is available here.