Monsters on Netflix: Where are brothers Erik and Lyle Menendez now?

A fresh appeal was launched just last year

Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story is now available on Netflix, and the drama tells the true story of the two brothers who killed their parents. The Menendez brothers shot and killed their mum and dad, in a case that gripped the entire world.

Lyle and Erik’s parents were José and Mary Louise “Kitty” Menendez. They were killed in their Beverly Hills home on August 20th, 1989. In March 1990, the Menendez brothers were arrested for their parents’ murders and placed on trial. They were found guilty, and have been in prison ever since.

So, 35 years on, where are brothers Erik and Lyle Menendez now? Here’s a breakdown of what their lives are like today.

Erik and Lyle Menendez

via Sipa/Shutterstock

Where are brothers Erik and Lyle Menendez now?

During their trial, the Menendez brothers said their motive for killing their parents was years of abuse. Their first trial was made up of two juries, one for each brother. In court, the brothers said their mother was aware of abuse they suffered at the hands of their father, and they feared for their lives, so felt they had no option but to kill their parents. The first trial came back with no verdict.

The brothers went on trial for a second time in 1995, but this time it was just one jury to make a decision on the entire case. In this trial, the defence was limited to bring up any sexual abuse allegations, and in the end both brothers were found guilty of murder in 1996. They both avoided the death penalty, and instead got two consecutive life sentences without parole.

Now, Lyle Menendez is 56 and younger brother Erik is 53. After sentencing, Lyle and Erik were sent to separate prisons until 2018. In that year, prison officials moved Erik to the same unit as Lyle. This was despite fears the brothers may plan a prison escape together.

The brothers are currently housed at Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility in San Diego County, according to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Erik and Lyle Menendez in prison now

Recent police mugshots of the brothers

Speaking of his prison life, in 2005 Erik told People: “I have gotten into fights… many fights. But I never fight first. You have to learn to be smart. There is a perpetual state of fear that exists as background noise. You always have to be aware of who is around you. You have to continually hone your survival instincts.”

That being said, the brothers don’t have a bad record behind bars. Lyle has never broken a rule in prison, and Erik has only ever had two serious rule violations. Because of good behaviour, the brothers now live in a “non-designated programming facility” which gives them more freedom in prison.

Last year, the brothers launched a new appeal, after new evidence alleged their father had also molested boy-band member Roy Rosello. The brothers’ attorney filed a petition in May last year citing both Rosello’s claims and a letter given as evidence meant their convictions should be quashed.

Their attorney, Cliff Gardner, said: “The boys were abused as children. They were abused their whole life…and this is a manslaughter case, not a murder case. It’s just that simple.” It was later reported the district attorney’s office was “investigating the claims” but it’s not clear what the current status is.

Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.