Everything Richard Gadd has said about his stalker Martha since Baby Reindeer released

‘My stalker is a victim’

Baby Reindeer has taken Netflix by storm, and is based on the true events that happened between Richard Gadd and his stalker Martha. Whilst you could understand if Richard Gadd only had negative things to say about Martha after Baby Reindeer, in both the show and real life he’s surprisingly empathetic about his stalker.

Talking to The Independent, Richard discussed how he sometimes thought if he deserved the experience and at times felt like he “egged the situation on.” He explained: “I certainly egged the situation on before I realised that it was as dangerous as it was. I behaved like a prick at times.”

I can’t emphasise enough how much of a victim she is in all this,” he said. “When we think of stalkers, we always think of films like Misery and Fatal Attraction, where the stalker is a monstrous figure in the night down an alleyway. But usually, it’s a prior relationship or someone you know or a work colleague.” He also said that her behaviour was due to mental illness and said: “It would have been wrong to paint her as a monster, because she’s unwell, and the system’s failed her.”

Via Netflix

In an interview with Variety, Richard also felt that there were things to “empathize” with Martha and ultimately both he and her were just “two broken people.” He explained: “It’s two broken people. Their eyes meet in the room knowing that their lives are not going to be the same again without each other, in a way. I’m not saying this is the case with all stalkers, but I really felt with her that there were things to empathize with.”

Baby Reindeer is available on Netflix now. For more like this article on everything Richard Gadd has said about his stalker Martha, and all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.