Love Is Blind cast call out manipulated and edited show

Former Love Is Blind cast demand Netflix adds disclaimers to ‘manipulated’ and ‘edited’ shows

They claim cast members are ‘exploited’ by ‘coerced reactions, misleading editing and orchestrated plots’

Former Love Is Blind contestants are demanding Netflix adds disclaimers to “manipulated” and “edited” reality shows, so that viewers can tell when parts of content have been changed in final episode edits.

Nick Thompson and Jeremy Hartwell, who have both previously spoken about the filming conditions on Love Is Blind and their struggles since the show, have started a petition calling for it to made more obvious when shows edit how participants look, and how drama really played out. They want disclaimers placed at the start and end of every episode where such editing has happened.

“Reality and unscripted television are often anything but that,” the page reads. “Join us in demanding that producers add a mandatory disclaimer before and after each episode, underscoring that episodes are for entertainment purposes only, and the content can be edited, manipulated, and presented in any order for storyline purposes.” As of writing, the petition has had over 24,000 signatures.

The petition goes on to claim producers on successful reality TV shows are “exploiting cast members and manipulating reality” which can “skew people’s perspective and have a negative impact on mental health—both for viewers and cast members.”

via Netflix

It adds: “It’s important that the public understands the truth behind reality television—that it is not an accurate depiction of reality and instead often features coerced reactions, misleading editing, and orchestrated plots. In fact, many of these ‘unscripted’ shows are highly scripted, and the lack of transparency creates a distorted reality that can be harmful for everyone involved.”

Season two’s Nick Thompson, who married Danielle Ruhl, has spoken about the show and life afterwards multiple times, and said he can’t find a job because he’s known as a Love Is Blind cast member. He claimed taking part ruined his life, and said he was paid just $7.14 an hour to be on the show, which he compared to being “treated like a prisoner”.

In 2022, Jeremy Hartwell, who was only on Love Is Blind for a week, sued Netflix over “inhumane working conditions”. Hartwell alleged the cast were made to wait hours for food and water during their first 24 hours of filming and were encouraged to drink on an empty stomach.

At the time, Kinetic released a statement which said: “Mr Hartwell’s involvement in season two of Love Is Blind lasted less than one week. Unfortunately, for Mr Hartwell, his journey ended early after he failed to develop a significant connection with any other participant. While we will not speculate as to his motives for filing the lawsuit, there is absolutely no merit to Mr Hartwell’s allegations, and we will vigorously defend against his claims.”

You can sign the petition here. The Tab has reached out to Netflix for comment.

Love Is Blind is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.